Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you ever get greeting cards from hotels you've visited. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-ever-get-greeting-cards-from-hotels-youve-visited-664630/)

Hal8999 Dec 16th, 2006 04:06 AM

Do you ever get greeting cards from hotels you've visited.

When we are in Rome we always stay at the Hotel Canada. We've been doing this for over twenty years.

A couple of years ago we finally filled out one of those forms they leave, asking you to rate their hotel, and got a christmas card from them.

Last year we did the same thing and got another card.

This year we didn't fill out the form. How many times can you tell somebody they're great without it sounding hollow? Got a christmas card this year too.

I wonder how many places do this. I think it's a great marketing tool. It's also nice when they check their records and 'welcome you back' when you check in.

Eloise Dec 16th, 2006 04:28 AM

Yes, for a number of years from two hotels that couldn't be farther apart in every way. Neither asked me for a recommendation; I simply received the greetings as a former guest. One was a small, very pretty and very inexpensive B&B in Ferrara, the other one of the great "Palazzo" hotels of Venice. (I haven't heard from there in years, since it's been years since I could afford it.)

ExpertTripPlanner Dec 16th, 2006 04:30 AM

Yes, hotel Regina in Wengen, Switzerland. Every year without fail. Never filled out a card.

Judi Dec 16th, 2006 05:13 AM

The Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen sends us a card every year along with a price list of skiing packages. We stayed there seven years ago.

katya_NY Dec 16th, 2006 05:27 AM

Not a hotel, but Cafe Britt in Costa Rica (a coffee producer with a tour) sends me hand written cards in Spanish every year! I haven't been there since 2001- but the cards are so nice, I use them in my Spanish classes!

%%-

elina Dec 16th, 2006 06:06 AM

I get Christmas cards from a hotel where I stayed a couple of years ago in Istanbul. A totally ordinary *** hotel.

grimmy Dec 16th, 2006 06:12 AM

We've gotten Christmas cards from Hotel Cannero in Cannero Riviera every year since we stayed there 5 years ago.

JulieVikmanis Dec 16th, 2006 06:24 AM

Candert, my son=in-law who posts on this board, and my daughter Liz, get periodic e-mail newsletter mailings from Locanda Orseola and the crew there ever since they stayed there two or three years ago. This includes a special Christmas mailing each year. this year it included info on efforts to keep Venice afloat as well as their absolutely charming good wishes. Those folks really know how to treat their customers. Ciao, as they so often say.

TravelsWithStDavid Dec 16th, 2006 07:04 AM

This year we got a very pretty email picture of Venice and greetings from the Corte Grimani Apartment Hotel. We stayed there last summer and loved the whole experience, the staff, the rooms, the location. Saving our pennies to return.

lemidi Dec 16th, 2006 07:05 AM

Not a hotel but so nice I thought I'd share. My father still receives a Christmas card from a tailor in Hong Kong where he purchased hand made suits over 40 years ago. It wouldn't be Christmas at my parents' home without that card!

pja1 Dec 16th, 2006 08:01 AM

Hi,
Although we never filled out a card or form, we receive Christmas cards each year from Gasthof Badl in Hall in Tirol, Austria and Pension Schwalbennestl in Mittenwald, Germany. We, of course, send one in return.

Paul

Underhill Dec 16th, 2006 09:32 AM

For several years after our VIP (courtesy of our travel agent!) stay at Brown's Hotel in London we got lovely cards from the manager. Also from the Alain Ducasse group after our stay at the Bastide de Moustiers (he must not have read our evaluation).

kbrennan Dec 16th, 2006 10:03 AM

After staying at the Motel Muguet in Paris, they sent us a beautiful holiday card. It was a black and white photo of the Eiffel Tower - so lovely that I had it matted and framed!

RSTravelers Dec 16th, 2006 11:27 AM

A nice email greeting(w/Santa)from Hotel Pendini in Florence after we stayed there last Sept. And before that, an email from Hotel Gerberhaus in Rothenburg. Both were really special surprises that added to the holiday season. We have never filled out a form.

LoveItaly Dec 16th, 2006 11:31 AM

For years we received beautiful Christmas cards from the Hotel Europa on Anacapri along with a little present each year (hankerchief, small scarf etc). This hotel is now owned by another group so no more Christmas cards.

basingstoke1 Dec 16th, 2006 11:42 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Silberhorn in Grindelwald, Switzerland for a few nights during our honeymoon back in the dark ages. They sent us a new years card every year until they closed. As I recall, it was a really nice place and our room had a great view of the Jungfrau.

JulieVikmanis Dec 23rd, 2006 02:29 AM

Just got a Christmas e-mail from the Seven Hills Hotel in Istanbul. Message says they "missed" us--meaning, I hope, that they miss us. I always find bad translations so charming.

ira Dec 23rd, 2006 02:34 AM

We just got an eml greeting card from a hotel that we will be staying at in May, 2007.

((I))

Mucky Dec 23rd, 2006 02:37 AM

Indeed we do, its from a beautiful place in Devon called Ham farm.
We stayed there 4 years ago and every year we still get a very personal letter and card from the owner Mrs Cobbledick.... :-)

Keeps them in our mind and we will definately go back there as soon as we get the chance.

Muck

loisco Dec 23rd, 2006 01:07 PM

We just got a card from Hotel Sous Les Figuirs...(sp?)
It's a hotel we stayed at in St. Remy...!!