Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you check your luggage on the Eurostar??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Kent

This will be my first trip on the chunnel from London to Paris. I was just curious if you 'check' your luggage or if you carry it all onto the train??

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Tony

You normally carry it onto the train youself - there are luggage trollies available. <BR>I have'nt heard of any checking facilities.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Kay

Kent, we carried our luggage on to the train and stored it at the end of our carriage in a luggage rack. I think everyone else did the same. <BR> <BR>A tip that may help - there are seats facing forward and also facing backwards (with your back facing the way you are going). Facing backwards makes me feel ill (a type of motion sickness I suppose) but being novice train travellers we didn't realise we should have asked for forward facing seats. Next time will know better. Hope this helps. <BR>Kay

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 12:57 AM
Kent

Thanks Tony and Kay. <BR>Kay- the tip about forward facing seats is a really good one. I'll remember that. Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 03:23 AM
clairobscur

Kay's advice is a very good one, for people who don't usually ride trains. A lot of people feel slighty ill,indeed, when facing backward. <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Wiley

We have checked luggage on the Eurostar before. It was stored on an outside compartment of the train and when we arrived in Paris we went to the car that had the compartment where a porter unloaded it and set it on the walkway where we picked it up and were on our way. I do not recall if there was a charge for this I don't think so other than a tip for the porter. I think most people carry their bags on but this service was available a couple of years ago. Haven't used chunnel recently so may have changed.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:50 AM
AC

Hi Kent; <BR>Enjoy the trip! In first class there are also tables with seats facing each other and single seats if that is what you want. When I made the reservation I was asked if I wanted one of these options. Carried the luggage on and stored it in the end of the carriage. Lovely trip.