Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do women still wear capri pants in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Deborah

I want be "dressy" but comfortable when I<BR>am in Paris in June. Fashion faux pas?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:23 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:26 AM
xxxz

It would appear that only Kathy Lee Gifford,(who appeared wearing them in people magazine who clearly stated that capris where out in their fashion issue that is on sale now) is wearing them.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:30 AM
xxx

Explain, please!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:08 AM
EP

I suppose we don´t know that before the weather gets warmer. Then we´ll see.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Dina

Why all the xxx's? Is this such a controversial topic?<BR>Opinionated Fashion advice:<BR>I can't say whether Capris are in or out in Europe, although I saw a lot last fall. Those above-the-ankle pants really put your shoes/feet on display, so if you do wear them, make sure you're not wearing dorky shoes, or exposing ugly toes! <BR>Also, they only look good on someone well-proportioned. If you are short-legged, you will resemble a dwarf; if very long-legged, it may appear like you couldn't find pants long enough!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:51 AM
runway queen

Ignore the costumer,she doesn't know fashion.There are many cuts to suit all bodies, and the shoes are important, flats fine. Yes, many shops are featuring cropped, that has now become a fashion staple.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:55 AM
LaFemme

I will be wearing my new capris, they have wide legs and stop right above the ankle.So I will wear them with a slightly high wedge heeled shoe.They can make your legs look short, just wear the right shoes with them and you will be fine.<BR>With a fitted capri leg you can wear a flat and look very Audrey Hepburn-ish!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Dina

Yes, you can look Audrey Hepburn-ish---if you're built like Audrey Hepburn.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:44 AM
LaFemme

Oh,but I am! <BR>One must not automatically think that people are heavy and need not wear certain clothes.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Hiho

Glad to see that a good clothes question is on the board, and drawing a number of reponses!! Ina word - YES!!! Love those capri pants...and they go great with a tunic....very chic in the boites of Paris this year.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Dina

Chic LaFemme, I wasn't directing my little cautionary remark at you, but for those who may be built differently than Audrey Hepburn. Sometimes we forget, even moi, in our desire for the current fashion, that it is not for everyone.<BR>Does anyone rember Nancy Reagan wearing designer "knickers" to a formal event in the 80's? They were very trendy at the time---for about three months.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:25 AM
elvira

3 weeks ago, I saw capris in Paris, mostly on teeny weeny teenage girls.<BR><BR>Okay, I have to ask this because I've been stumped since capris came back in style - am I the only one who doesn't find them flattering to anyone? Even when MTM and Audrey wore them, I always thought they were weird-looking. They cut the leg in the worst places - mid-calf or just above the ankle. Are they more comfortable than full-length pants? I'm serious - I really don't know what women find attractive about these pants!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Sue

Capri pants are iffy. You have to get the right fit for your body and the right shoe. Speaking as someone who lives in a very hot climate, they are fabulous when it's hot and you don't like to wear shorts. Gets the air circulating if you know what I mean.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Laura

Elvira, I'm with you. I have never, ever seen them on anyone and thought they looked good.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:59 AM
elvira

Sue, I, too, live in a hot climate. During the 17 years I've lived in the desert, I've found that full skirts and loose pants of breathable fabric are the coolest - and really baggy shorts that are not fit for public display.<BR><BR>Capri pants seem to be tight around the knees...or do they just look like that?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:02 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

Elvira-<BR> I love capris in the summer because for ONCE I can buy slacks that are the right length. Not that they are capris on me-LOL! To buy slacks and not have the added expense and trouble of having them shortened is wonderful. I was so happy when they came back into fashion. As you can imagine I DON'T look like either MTM or Audrey Hepburn in them.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:31 AM
pam

This is so funny because a colleague of mine visited her aging mother in Florida recently and said that it was the "best trip of her life". When I inquired what had happened to make it such, she replied "Capri Pants"! "I can finally find a pair of pants which fit my mother that don't need to be shortened!".Apparently, many people use them for regular length pants and find them very practical as they don't need any alterations. Interesting.<BR>In NYC, all the major department stores are featuring capris again and many have a new "twist" with very wide bottoms and various materials such a french terry, cotton,linen and denim.<BR>I will be purchasing some for my trip to Paris this summer. I find them very comfortable and like the way I look in them.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Topsy_Turvy

I always wear Paris pants when visiting Capris....

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:18 PM
fashionrisk

Elvira, I'm with you. I don't find them flattering at all and have yet to see anyone who I thought looked good in them. They remind me of "highwater" pants when I was a kid -- those pants that were too short and you'd really grown out of but still had to wear because your mom thought they still fit you. Everyone would ask when the flood was coming, because your pants were above your ankles. Dorky looking then, dorky looking now, IMO, and not at all attractive on women over 18. They accentuate big thighs and rear, bony ankles and big feet, so if you have that combo, run like hell and buy some real pants. Fashion should adapt to you, not the other way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -