Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do we need to stay near the airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-we-need-to-stay-near-the-airport-800739/)

dakotapie Aug 12th, 2009 10:58 AM

Do we need to stay near the airport?

I'm in the final stages of planning a 12 night trip to Ireland in November. Our last 2 nights have us back in Dublin for a flight out on a Saturday. Unfortunately, the flight is at 6am. Do we *need* to stay by the airport? I'd rather not since I would like to stay in the same hotel both nights versus splitting 2 nights between 2 hotels. Based on various bits of feedback, I've been told staying in Dublin will be fine and others have told me there's no way and that I'd be dumb to NOT stay at the airport. Also, I was recently told that for a 6am flight I'll need to check in at 3am - really? Having flown to Rome and Paris in the last 2 years, I'm finding that time table incredibly insane.

Cowboy1968 Aug 12th, 2009 11:34 AM

I don't see a big problem to stay in downtown Dublin, and take a taxi (let hotel make reservation) that early in the morning to the airport. You will hardly need more than 20 minutes.
For check-in times, you should consult your reservations and the website of your airline. Those times vary by airline and airport and destination.

jefe Aug 12th, 2009 05:52 PM

When traveling, I find that getting out of bed a bit early is easier than it is during a normal work week. That being said, with a flight at 6am, getting up earlier than that is not something I'd consider "human" - so I'd be staying as close to the airport as possible. :)

Seriously, though, I imagine it depends on how much sleep you want to get. Also consider your travel companion(s), and how easy it is to motivate them. I'm married to a perpetual dawdler, so I have more than just myself to worry about getting moving at that hour.

Fergal Aug 13th, 2009 03:06 AM

Any international flight from Dublin it is recommended be there at least 2 hours before check-in. The airport is about 30 minutes from city centre without traffic which there wont be too much of that early in the morning.

skibumette Aug 13th, 2009 07:10 PM

Because you'll do US Customs in Dublin, it's one more step in the departure porcess - don't cut things too close for check-in. We departed from the smaller Shannon airport and it took every minute of 2 hrs. to check in, go through intial security, buy a quick box of chocolates, do Customs, another security check and get to the gate just as they were starting to board.

SiobhanP Aug 14th, 2009 02:53 AM

Its fine to stay in the city. I often have had 6 am flights and I live city centre and get a taxi in. Depending on the day of the week you may be surprised how busy the airport is as many people get a connecting flight to London, Paris or Amsterdam for international travel onwwards so the early flights are common week days. Leave the hotel at 3:30 and ask reception to pre-book a taxi. Fergal is right it should be a quick ride to the airport of 20 mins to 30 mins. Pay the hotel the night before for the room so when you do a final check out it should only take a few minutes for any incidentals you may have used after payment. I do this in every country I travel to if I have an easly start.