Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do we need reservations on train from London t Bath???? Help!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-we-need-reservations-on-train-from-london-t-bath-help-294200/)

cheriegal Mar 4th, 2003 06:02 AM

Do we need reservations on train from London t Bath???? Help!!!

Do we need to make train reservations for a daytrip leaving early one morning for Bath around 8:30 - spending the day and leaving Bath around 8 or 9 in the evening???? We have traveled around other parts Europe by train but we've never been to United Kingdom. Just wondering if we need to pre-book to get the times we want. Also, are first class tickets worth the difference in price for a trip of that duration?? Thoughts, please! Thanks!

vcl Mar 4th, 2003 06:14 AM

You don't need reservations unless you decide to go first class -- nice but not necessary for a trip that short.<BR><BR>The cheapest tickets -- cheap day return -- aren't good until after about 9:30 a.m.<BR>

Lori Mar 4th, 2003 06:19 AM

The last poster is correct. You can buy your ticket and go right at the station, we do whenever we do day trips. I'd suggest leaving after 9:30 however, if it's a weekday, you can get a lower fare--it's called &quot;cheap day return&quot;. If you are not familiar with the UK when it says &quot;return&quot; it means round trip.<BR>First class tickets are not worth it for a short trip like that. If want to check times and prices go to www.trainline.co

chrisp Mar 4th, 2003 07:17 AM

Most trains to Bath leave from Paddington. You shouldnt need a reservation. The trip is only 1hr 25min. Try www.railtrack.com for schedules.

janis Mar 4th, 2003 09:02 AM

I agree w/ the others. Wait until after 9:30 and you can save up to 50% (sometimes more). The trip is fast so you would still be in Bath by 11 or 11:30AM. You would have plenty of time to see everything before leaving at 8PM.

kgk52 Mar 4th, 2003 12:11 PM

I did that trip last week. Be warned that the cheap round trip (leave after 9:30) was still 40 pounds. We left at 6PM and the return train was packed! that said, Bath was beautiful and the trip was most definitely worth it.

David Mar 4th, 2003 12:27 PM

We took a chance (on the weather) and booked two same day return tickets from Paddington to Bath on the &quot;trainline&quot; website for late March. We'll pick up the tickets once in London. They were the least expensive available, included reserved seats, and cost GBP 18 (about $32) each, and we will depart on the first available train after 9:30 a.m. and return from Bath at about 7:00 p.m. that evening. Although we are risking lousy weather (the departure dates and times cannot be changed), the cost savings were substantial and worth it to us. We'll have our umbrellas and raincoats with us! Bon voyage!

JustinBbad Mar 4th, 2003 12:55 PM

Ok, so we don't need to reserve seats, then I assume that it is easy to find two seats next to each other? WHat about carrying large bags, luggage for instance? I have a railpass, thus the times for the trains are not a concern, I can travel at any time...

Heimdall Mar 5th, 2003 01:55 AM

Trains are busiest going into London in early morning, and out in the late afternoon, due to the many commuters who live in the country and work in the city. Getting a seat at all, never mind two together, can be difficult at those times. If you are going to Bath in the morning, and coming back in the afternoon, you shouldn't have any problem with either seats or baggage.