Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Do we need reservations in June in the Peloponnesian peninsula?
Notices

Do we need reservations in June in the Peloponnesian peninsula?

May 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Do we need reservations in June in the Peloponnesian peninsula?

My husband and I will be traveling to Greece in June-July 2012. We will be staying for a few days on a couple islands and a few days in Athens. In between we would like to rent a car and drive to Nafplion and Olympia. We are not sure exactly how many days we will stay in each, and like the option of stopping in a random town if something looks interesting. Do you think we are safe to not reserve a room, will it be possible to show up in these 2 towns and find a clean hostel, hotel room, or room to let? Are there any places we should try to find once we arrive in the towns?
May 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM

I think you will find some accommodation on the spot in Nafplion and Olympia on June/July,yes.
It is wise to do some homework and have a few places on mind though. A good "strategy" I often use for piece of mind, is to call one or two days in advance and book or investigate on availability.
May 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM

You could also use your mobile phone, and download the booking.com app, which has the option of showing you all available nearby hotels with availability and prices.

That will give you accurate information of what's available and of what price range.

This app has always been a great help when searching for hotels on the spot.
May 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM

The first half of June is not a problem but as you approach July your choices without reservations will change. Also, if you have a hotel in mind, late June/July, you may find it not available. In Naplion, I have stayed a couple of times at Byron Hotel without reservations but that was in late May early June. Since it is not a large hotel, I would think later on in June and July, reservations would be called for.
http://www.byronhotel.gr/maineng.html
I do not generally make reservations, except in Athens but then I have not travelled past the middle of June in Greece so I do not know how difficult that would be. You also have to be aware of special Greek holidays and how close you are to Athens. In the peloponesse you could be competing with Athenian visitors on Friday and Sat. nights. Those travelling out of Athens for the weekend.

Search this Thread