Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we need HELP with our France travel plans?

Nov 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

We have been working on this itinerary for a few months and do have most of our reservations in place...(although no flight booked as yet.) Our plans are to fly to Paris May 14th and stay for 3 days...(we have visited twice before). Then TGV to Avignon and a stay of 2 days in the city (booked) At this time we'll pick up our rental vehicle and make our way to Mas Pomona near Cheval Blanc (booked ) where we will stay for 6 days and take our daily jaunts to see the sights.Then on to Nice...where we have booked an apt for another 6 days from which we plan to do more touring using the rental car. We also hope to be able to get a flight home from Nice via Paris.What we are wondering is this...when we leave Mas Pomona in Cheval Blanc, and assuming we are able to change our booked accomodations in Nice by a couple of days,should we take an additional 2 days to visit around Marseille, St. Tropez area? ...and if so...where would we base ourselves WITH a car for those extra 2 days?
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Would someone comment please...HELP!
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM

I wouldn't spend any time in Marseille - but St Tropez would be a wonderful place to spend several days.

Do you have my 27 page itinerary for the Cote d'Azur & Provence? If not, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll send you a copy.

Stu Dudley
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
ira

Your plan looks good to me, M.

Nov 9th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Nice is a big city. I won't want to be threading my way through it twice each day to drive elsewhere. And Nice is a center for public transportation. You can take the bus or train up and down the coast and inland.

So consider dropping the car upon your arrival in Nice or after a couple days.
Nov 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM

>>So consider dropping the car upon your arrival in Nice or after a couple days<,

Some of my favorite spots around Nice are really not accessable by public transportation at all. Even villages like St Paul would be better visited with a car so you can also visit Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, the pretty Loup Gorge, and Gourdon on the same day trip. I would keep the car for a few days while in Nice, but you won't need it to visit the coastal towns.

I didn't receive any requests for my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary from you today. However, several other people requested it based on my offer here. I've sent it to well over 1,000 Fodorites. We've vacationed for over 32 weeks in that region.

Stu Dudley
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

I am so grateful to have finally received a reply.Thankyou! (Not sure what happened there) In the interim we have been considering Cassis for those possible extra 2 days but not many accomodations caught our eye.Maybe we will check out St. Tropez although I was under the impression it might be on the pricey side? We do plan on keeping the car for several days while in Nice and will drop it off two days before we leave for home.And yes, Stu I do have your itinerary and have had it for some time.It helped motivate us into taking this trip. Thankyou
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Do you have my most recent itinerary - revised in Jan 08???
It has the name of the place where we stayd in Cassis - which we really liked.

St Tropez is definately more expensive. I'm helping a friend get reservations there for early June, and it is difficult. Seems like the place where we stayed a couple of hears ago (Lices) wants to try to book the long stays first - before considering the 2 night stays.

Stu Dudley