Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we need advance hotel reservations in Switzerland, or can we 'wing it'?

Sep 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

We're traveling to Switzerland by Eurail the last week of September and the first week of October. Do we need advance hotel reservations ? We're looking for hotels in the $100 - $150 range when possible. A clean room for two with bath. All suggestions welcome.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM

When you arrive in a city, go to the tourist office which is usually in or close by the railway station. They will book a hotel for you. I've stayed in Lausanne twice and in Luzern, and found accommodation this way.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM

We've got school holidays the first week of October. You should still be able to find a room but it's high season for some places.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Another source for rooms: www.rooms.ch
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:16 AM

I like bnb.ch
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions and good websites for me to try. I'm trying to put together a 14day itinerary so I can get a few reservations in before we leave.
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM

My problem with no reservations is that it means you get of the train in a town you don't know and just have to start walking around, dragging your suitcase. Sure if there is tourist info at the train station you could start with that, and hope to get lucky.

If for whatever reason you don't want to reserve ahead, I would at least have a specific list of hotels in every town you plan to stop. Switzerland is very expensive and 100-150USD priced places are not apparent on every street corner, by any stretch.

So YES I believe you can go without reservations, but plan that you will necessarily have to take time of from sight-seeing or relaxing, to look for your hotel room each time.

Hostels in Switzerland can be quite nice, because of your price range, you might want to consider them.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi R,

You have answers to your original post.

You can find it by clicking on your name.

Sep 14th, 2007, 06:24 AM

But Ira, someone specifically told Rosebook to "re-post" with Switzerland in the title. So she did! That's why there are two posts.

Sep 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Just use the tourist offices: that's what they're there for. They have full lists of accommodation and will know of any special offers, or anything else you need to know.
If, for any reason, the tourist office is closed or is not near the station, leave your luggage in a locker, and collect it later after you've found a hotel.
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Almost every train station in main tourist cities seem to have Hotel Boards, usually just outside the station that pinpoints all the town's hotels and has red and green lights on each to indicate availability and a free phone with which to call the hotel for instant booking.

There is also price info and a bit about the accommodation.

So it's so easy to wing it in Switzerland. I've depended on these boards for years in September travels in Switzerland

and only once were all the affordable to me hotels are lit up in red - causing a brief panic until, in Interlaken, i went to the tourist office and they quickly did find me an affordable room but one of the few remaining in town because that weekend was the Jungfrau Marathon where several thousand runners were doing a marathon that ended at Eiger station near the Jungfrau summit - about a 10,000 feet climb or so.

So unless some anomaly like this pops up unexpected you'll be fine.

And don't panic also if lots of red lights are lit in a place like Grindelwald, which has a similar hotel board in the between seasons like Sep - between summer hiking and winter skiing frenzy - many hotels with red lights are simply closed for lack of customers and probably on holiday themselves.

Lucerne, Lugano, Interlaken West (maybe Ost), Grindelwald, Bern, Zermatt, Zurich are stations i remember seeing boards, but they are in most tourist areas.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions and info. The sighted board at the tourist information sounds really helpful. I might need to use it in Basel. I'm up to day 3 in making reservations, and I'm already having trouble finding an affordable hotel there. Of course, it may mean there 'is' no affordable hotel in Basel. Any suggestions?
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Hi Rosebrook,

Yes, well, Basel is an expensive city (but SO worth it!).

I stayed at the 3-star Hotel Bildengzentrum-21, formerly a hotel for missionaries. It's about a 10-minute walk to the old town -- great location. I forget which tram takes you from the train station, but I'm sure they can tell you.

The rooms were modern-spartan, but the feel was open, airy, and clean. The staff was *very* nice and helpful.

Rates are about 190-260 chf for two people.

http://www.bildungszentrum-21.ch/english/10-hotel/

I've also had the 3-star Krafft recommended to me, but it's more expensive than the Bdgz-21.

Good luck!

s
Sep 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I contacted the Kraftt and it was sold out except for the river view room. That would put me way over my budget. So, I'm thinking about staying at Rheinfelden, about a 10 minute train ride away. I'm looking at the Schiff am Rhein hotel. Anyone heard of it?
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM

^^^^