Do we need a rental car in Naples/ Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We are planning on a week in Rome and then train down to Naples and then onto Sorrento for four nights, one night on Capri and the last night in Naples. While in Sorrento we are planning on visiting Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii, etc. We were not planning on renting a car but now are wondering if we can do all this walking to see these areas. We are in our early 60s and don't do a lot of walking. Will we be able to get around and see all the sights at these locations or do you think a car is warranted? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Hi Carolenap, I don't think you will want a car on the Amalfi Coast. If you stay right in Sorrento you can walk easily all over town.
To get to the towns on the Amalfi Drive you can take a bus called SITA at the Sorrento train station and it will let you off in Positano and Amalfi (you can do these on different days). Sit on the left side as you enter and you will have the views on your side.
To get to Pompeii, you can take the commuter train from Sorrento called Circumvesuviana, the station is right in town. Or you can negotiate with a local cab driver to take you and wait for you, or get another cab back to Sorrento, ask the price before you settle into the cab.
You can take the same train from Naples to Sorrento and back, I would suggest taking a cab (be sure it is an authorized one)from the Naples train station to your hotel, it can be a little seedy around the Naples train station. You can be sure it is a legal cab by waiting in the cab line and making sure there is a meter, if you are not sure ask around, the people are pretty helpful at the station. Be sure to do this early in the day so you don't get caught at night at the station.
A car would be alot more trouble, parking is not easy to find and then you would still have to walk from the parking lots to the towns, which is quite a hike.
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:03 AM
cathyb

Take my advice, DO NOT DRIVE IN NAPLES. The drivers are mad, there are no road rules. Cars use both sides of the roads. I have never seen anything like it.

As the previous Poster indicated. Public transport is very easy in this area. There is a ferry from Sorrento to Capri. There is a bus that goes that will take you down to the wharf.

Taxis are very expensive in this area. Always check the price. I would be more inclined to catch the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and CIT buses as the previous reply suggested. The website for the Circumvesuviana is www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp. This train will take you from Napes to Pompeii and Sorrento. Pompeii Station is right across the street from the historical site. Enjoy, this is a wonderful part of Italy and the public transport is easy to follow. Just be careful around Naples for bag snatches who operate on motor bikes.

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:19 AM

I disagree - in this area I think a car is a big benefit - not to drive in the towns but as the most conenvient way to get from one town to another. We based in Sorrento for several days and used the car for day trips to Pompeii, Naples and to see the towns along the Amalfi Drive. And doing the drive is a fun activitiy in itself - as well as IMO the best way to see the towns - not tied to schedules - you can leave each town when you're done and move on to the next. Also do not ferry to Capri - take the hydrofoil - its much faster. It left from the little dock right below our hotel and was very convenient.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:29 AM
JN

I agree with cathyb--driving in/around Naples is a scary proposition. We had relatives there who toted us around and it was white knuckles all the way--they don't stop at intersections, just flick their brights and hope any oncoming car lets them through. They ride at breakneck speed, honk and swear at each other, often stopping to get out, gesticulate madly for 50 seconds then get in the car to head off to the next confrontation. It's amusing and frightening at the same time--but I'm not sure a 60-something age American would find it so amusing. Heck, I'm 50-something and the prospect of driving there gives me the shakes.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi Carole,

I would not take a car to the Amalfi Coast.

As noted, the SITA bus runs regular schedules from Sorrento to Salerno and stops at nearly every town along the way, if you ask the driver to stop.

You change buses at Amalfi to get to Ravello.

There are also ferries between Sorrento and Positano and Amalfi. Seeing the Coast from the water is an experience.

Sit on the RIGHT side of the bus going from Sorrento to Amalfi and the LEFT side going the other way if you want to look straight down to the water.

For your transfer from Naples to Sorrento, you can take the commuter train Circumvesuviana (10E). If you have a lot of luggage, you might want to take a private limo (90E).

If you take a limo, you could spend your last night in Sorrento and have the driver take you directly to the Naples airport.

You might find these threads helpful:

Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465647

Renato Cuomo Limo www.cuomonet.it [email protected]
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM

I agree with Ira and Seaurchin about not driving, parking is not convenient and public transportation is easy.

To clear it up about the SITA busses, as you enter the bus sit on your lefthand side for the views heading towards Amalfi from Sorrento and sit on the driver's side coming back.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Thank you all for your input. We have driven through Italy on two other trips and never had a problem. I thought I would give my husband a break this time and do the train/boat/bus thing. I am familiar with the various modes of transportation but I just wasn't sure if everything was an easy walk from where you would depart the bus/train/boat. I don't think we will have any problem. We just might rent a car for one day to do the things that maybe we weren't able to get to. Actually my husband loves driving in Europe but I dislike doing the navigation. I guess we will both get a break. Thanks again and happy travels.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:36 AM

I love the comment about which side of the SITA bus to sit on for the views. That is -- if you can sit at all. We stood for nearly an hour in a mob of people in Amalfi trying to get onto an already packed SITA bus on its way to Positano. They only let a handful of people on so we had to wait another hour for the next one. Again there were far more people than would fit. That's when we decided to do as the locals were doing -- push and shove your way on, forgetting all manners. That enabled us to squeeze onto the bus where there wasn't a seat at all. We stood for the ride and of course couldn't see a thing from those postitions. We had a car at the time but had left it in Postitano thinking we'd take a boat to Amalfi and back. Unfortunately the weather turned bad and there were no boats returning. That's when we spent this nearly two hours total waiting to fight our way onto a bus. We were very, very sorry we didn't drive.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,
May I ask when did you make your trip to Amalfi? We are going the last week of September. Hope it's not as crowded then as it was for you. Thanks! Happy Travels
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM

Carolenap, I always go to Amalfi Coast at that time of year and the busses are fine, sometimes on weekends they get crowded or on a holiday or Saint day. It also depends on the times of day you are catching the bus, and yes you do have to push your way in like Patrick said, it is no time to be shy.

I was there for three weeks and the only time I had to stand was when I caught the bus the local students used to get home from school.

BTW, the locals wish that none of the tourists would drive along that coast, they don't know the route and how to drive it and cause alot of delays, the locals and professional drivers have it down to a science.

Just plan your day so you aren't rushed when using these public transportation, sometimes the bus you want shows up just in front of the next scheduled bus, so you have to adapt the Italian sense of time, you are on vacation anyway.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:51 PM

Carolenap, I just looked it up. That was a couple years ago, but the actual date was September 23.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:54 PM

Patrick, how odd. I am usually in that area at the same time too and find it not that crowded on the busses. I have become expert at elbowing my way into the bus too, join the crowd.

Come to think of it, when I was waiting at the stop in Praiano I saw a few completely stuffed busses just go on by, maybe you were in one of them.

I don't know what the answer is, Carole, play it by ear.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. I use to work in NYC so I am use to pushing my way onto a crowded subway so I don't think we'll have a problem. As a matter of fact Natalia, I just sent you a message on a different post. I just viewed your pictures. They are beautiful. Is anybody planning on being on the AC or Rome this September? Maybe we can get together. Happy Travels.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:17 AM

Hi Carolenap, I will most likely be there again, I am not sure of the dates so let's keep updated, I would love to have a mini Fodor GTG in either Rome or AC.
I am going over in March, so if you would like for me to check out something for you, I will!