Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we have to watch what we eat and drink in Istanbul?

Old May 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We be in Istanbul in about 10 days. Do we have to be careful what we eat and drink? I know to drink bottled water but someone said the food is very oily and can cause stomach upset? Is this true.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM

It was a while ago that I was there, but I can't imagine the food has changed much.
I found the food to be pretty bland, not especially oily or spicy. I can't say there was any meal I found memorable -- either on the plus or minus side.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Hi
I was there a few years ago and love Turkish food. The way they make eggplant, beans, donars etc really great cooking. The only problem we had was in a restaurant when my Wife ordered a draft beer. She got the Turkish equivalent to Montezumas revenge. I drank mine from a bottle. We went back there a few days later, and the masochist she is, she drank another draft beer. Same results, learned her lesson. Drank bottled Efes beer from then on. The food is great, just watch the water and beer.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM

You should also watch out for unpeeled vegetables and fruits. I think it was the salad in an upscale restaurant that did in my husband. If you do get sick, go to a pharmacy. They have non-prescription meds which work miracles!
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM

take meds with you. ( i didn't)

i absolutely loved the food and to this day we can not figure out what i ate differently than my husband.

i almost could not leave the bathroom for 6 hours our last morning and had an international flight to catch..

it was NOT fun.

the receptionist told me to come downstairs (she thought it unnecessary to call the doctor).. have some PEACH juice and toast and honey..
and ..
believe it or not.. that did it.

i will never know if my episode had reached its end by itself or there was a miracle combination to be patented there!
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
ira

If you don't watch what you eat and drink, someone might steal it.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM

I was in Istanbul & Izmir in September, 2003. Turkish food reminded me a lot of Greek food, only spicier. It's very good, and I didn't find it oily at all.

As for water drinking -- I would NOT drink water out of the tap, but would trust what a waiter puts on my table.

Otherwise, I bought a bottle in a store.

As for meds, I always travel with a little Immodium AD and a little Pepto just in case, whether I'm in Turkey or elsewhere.

Happy travels,

Jules