Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we have to limit ourselves to domestic travel in 2020?

Search

Do we have to limit ourselves to domestic travel in 2020?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2020, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am happy to be alive and have a safe home, but I am very worried about family and friends who are not safe, especially as they return to work.
I had planned this Summer for one last big trip to see my best friend in New Zealand. My health is poor and she is late 80s. I am sad because I fear we may never see each other again.
My daughter lives in another country too, and not knowing when I could see her again also makes me sad.
Not complaining, we can Face Time, so very grateful for that.
Old May 11th, 2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I am happy to be alive and have a safe home, but I am very worried about family and friends who are not safe, especially as they return to work.
I had planned this Summer for one last big trip to see my best friend in New Zealand. My health is poor and she is late 80s. I am sad because I fear we may never see each other again.
My daughter lives in another country too, and not knowing when I could see her again also makes me sad.
Not complaining, we can Face Time, so very grateful for that.
My immediate family and I live on three continents and don’t know when we be able to see each other. My mil is 95 and not doing well at all, we’re hoping she pulls through until DH can go visit her, maybe later this year.

On the other hand modern technology gives us so many advantages and we can connect with family and friends anywhere in the world. So much to be thankful for...
Old May 12th, 2020, 12:37 PM
twk

Nothing groundbreaking, but today's latest on the subject from the Wall Street Journal: Europe Finds Borders Are Harder to Open After Coronavirus Closures

How Europe opens its internal borders will shape its economic recovery. Tourism is one of the EU’s biggest industries, accounting for roughly 10% of gross domestic product and 12% of jobs, according to the EU, so allowing leisure travel could allow millions of jobs to restart.European air traffic plunged almost 90% in April from the year earlier. If governments provide clear, uniform rules for resuming flights, traffic next February could be down only 15% from February 2019, according to scenarios presented by Eurocontrol, the agency overseeing air-traffic across the continent. Failure by governments to coordinate could mean a 25% decline over the same period, Eurocontrol said.

The European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, is trying to coordinate governments, though it can’t compel action. It plans to present guidelines on Wednesday for resuming tourism through a staged approach, including health tests, and will offer nonbinding health standards for hotels and restaurants, among other measures.

Greece, whose economy depends on tourism, recently proposed to the commission a system of bilateral agreements between countries that would involve requiring travelers to present a coronavirus test not older than 72 hours by the time of entering the country of their destination, according to the proposal seen by The Wall Street Journal.
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM

'Greece, whose economy depends on tourism, recently proposed to the commission a system of bilateral agreements between countries that would involve requiring travelers to present a coronavirus test not older than 72 hours by the time of entering the country of their destination, according to the proposal seen by The Wall Street Journal.'

I very much doubt that testing people who want to go on holiday to Greece wil be very high on the priority list for GP's and hospitals. You'd have to get the result of the test back before you travel and 72 hours is not a lot of time for that. And even then you could get infected at the airport.
Old May 14th, 2020, 01:20 PM

We probably would have to, yes. For many people, travel might not even be considered at all considering the risks. I guess I can feel thankful for having the opportunity to travel in the past years, and having the liberty to do it often. So, even though travel is very important for me as it has enriched my life, I can see myself forgoing it for the sake of safety.
Old May 14th, 2020, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have to, no. Should we, yes.
Old May 15th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you had anything non refundable booked, a lot of people are only being given 1 yr vouchers. So I guess they know borders will open by then. I wish I had that crystal ball as to answer the question no. That is not the expectation.
Old May 15th, 2020, 02:38 PM

The PM of my country, Australia, yesterday talked about allowing domestic interstate travel by July and just possibly overseas travel to certain destinations later in the year. These are New Zealand, Japan and a few other places that have fairly low numbers of Covid19. Europe and the US weren’t mentioned.

I have shelved all hopes of going to Europe next year, but do hope we can go to Japan soon. We had to cancel a trip there to see our daughter and grandchildren in March, so I’m hoping we can get there by next March, if not sooner.
Old May 15th, 2020, 02:58 PM

""Well if you had anything non refundable booked, a lot of people are only being given 1 yr vouchers. So I guess they know borders will open by then.""

I certainly would not assume that an owner of a B&B (or an airline) will know that borders will be open within 1 year. If the "scientists" don't know when the pandemic will end, the government of the country where the B&B is located doesn't know when it is safe to go out, and your "home country" doesn't know either - how will a "non-decision maker" (the B&B owner) know? They want your money!!

I have several 1 year hotel vouchers for May in Scotland 2021. I'm certainly not banking on the fact that I will be able (or want) to travel from San Francisco to Scotland through my connection city (Amstedam) in 2021.

Stu Dudley
Old May 15th, 2020, 04:24 PM

I too am talking about my 1 year to use voucher to Scotland 2021. The rules to use it say 1 year. It’s not the hotel but rather Expedia which made me laugh. I know how vaccines and cures work as that is how I make my living and why I would love to have their crystal ball. It just isn’t about science but also mindset on when traveling will be ok again.
Old May 16th, 2020, 04:13 PM

United Airlines extended its 1-year vouchers to two years. Maybe some other businesses will follow suit.
Old May 19th, 2020, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

If they give vouchers available for 1 year that does not mean the restrictions will be gone and the situation will be better next year. It's just a business initiative to keep your customers satisfied and returning to you. With airlines, the vouchers represent an amount, not another flight, so most probably you will end up paying more for the rescheduled flight. Also, companies do not take into account to have your voucher starting date after all travel restrictions are lifted, so probably, in the end, you will have 5 months-time to use that voucher.

I believe that 1-year available vouchers it's pretty unreasonable, but yes, of course, the companies are looking after their own interests. For the company to keep its customers and maintain brand identity, they offer these vouchers. On the other side, we, as consumers, are happy that we will be able not to lose our money. However, how many times did your voucher expired or forgot to use it again, while booking? In the end, the companies will end up winning from all of this "voucher-scheme".

For the time being, we can not get too upset on traveling companies, since they were also there for us when we wanted to travel. I guess it's a bit of a supporting project, not to let them all die. Imagine if all tourism companies (hotels, airlines, travel agencies etc) would have to give refunds, they will end up bankrupt and we will not be able to travel again.
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My Alaska Air credit voucher has already been extended another 6 months (so 1-1/2 year from original purchase).
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I just booked a flight. I booked it for the second week of August. Jet Blue, non stop and paid extra to sit up front with more space. All the middle seats are not being sold. I bought the 24.00 Allianz policy. Adirondacks so flight from MCO to Albany. I noticed the first two rows were X out also. Interesting, maybe to keep people from crowding the lav area and galley.
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I noticed the first two rows were X out also. Interesting, maybe to keep people from crowding the lav area and galley."

The first two rows in F on almost all aircraft are being left empty now because that is where flight attendants can sit during take off and Landing without having to be in the jump seats right next to each other . . .
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:15 PM

I am not against vouchers but make them reasonable to use.

I looked at flights for November/December and don't see any that would work for me. I'm not even sure how things will be then.
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:55 PM

We are booked on Iceland Air for mid August. Right now, they are offering vouchers for 3 years, and then a year to travel, so you could book out to 4 years with them.
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's encouraging to see people making travel plans and wanting to visit Europe again. We're opening up for business albeit with new safety measures implemented. Most have to do with distancing and hand disinfectants which should not stop you from visiting. Europe is keeping a close eye on its infection rate and will go into lockdown if it rises significantly but I'm optimistic that, despite a possible slight surge, people are more aware of the risk and will adhere to safety measures as requested.

There are posters who will advise against visiting Europe this year which I fully respect, but there are other voices as well. Follow your instinct, inform yourself of the risks and then make your decision accordingly. And don't forget, there will be an increase in domestic tourism so you'll likely be surrounded by locals during your visit.

Hola, Bonjour, Olá, Hallo, Hej, Ciao, Ajoj, Kaixo, Zdraveĭte, Góðan dag, Jó napot, Geia sas, Sveiki, Bok, Ahoj, Moïen, Zdravo,Dobar dan,Hei, Hallå, Cześć, Bongu, Salu, Zdravo,Živjo, Merhaba, Helo, Salve, Sholem aleikhem, Përshëndetje,Goeie dei, Grüezi, Gruess Gott, Guten Tag

Old May 21st, 2020, 03:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I would fly to Europe later this summer if there is no quarantine on arrival. Jet Blue is going to do temp checks also. They are my fav domestic carrier and can't wait for their first London flight.
Old May 21st, 2020, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from whether travelers from, say, the US, will be welcome in the EU, there is the issue of travel insurance. I don't insure for cancelation, but I won't travel without medical and evacuation insurance. Since I'm doubly high risk I'm not going anywhere in the near future, but even if I wasn't I might wait to see whether the optimism over a vaccine pans out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -