Search

Spending 5 days in Europe, need help forming an itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spending 5 days in Europe, need help forming an itinerary

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to spend 5 days in Europe from Mar 11-16. I will arrive in Charles de Gaulle at 7:25am on the 11 and leave at 11:30am on the 16 from ORY. Right now my plan is to spend the 11 in paris and take an overnight train to italy and spend 2-3 days there and then spend the 15-16 traveling back/visiting dijon , I suppose. Obviously I don't really know what to do yet haha and I'm hoping you all can help. I would really like to see some vineyards. I want to know if I should take a train to southern Italy because that has the more classic Italian food I would think of. I don't know much about places to visit in northern Italy.I'm really looking for advice on places I absolutely must check out, and any advice on planning train tickets. Honestly, any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Are there restaurants/vineyards people think that I absolutely must see? Any places? My budget is around $1500 for the week. This will be my first time in Europe and I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you!
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Check how long these train journeys are... Just spend the time in Paris and Dijon. Don't stay in Dijon the night before your flight out of Orly. If your train is late, you could miss your flight.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Five days is hardly any time at all. First of all, stay in France - you don't have time to go to another country. Vineyards in March will be a bunch of brown sticks in a muddy field - forget that too. Find a nice place to stay in Paris and enjoy the city. Your $1500 will just about cover a decent hotel and a few good meals.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>This will be my first time in Europe and I'd really appreciate some help. </i>"

OK - if southern Italy is what you want to see - why are you flying through Paris? If you do end up going to Italy, trains make no sense at all. Fly on to Italy from CDG the same morning you arrive and fly back to Paris the evening before you fly out.

But you only have 4.5 actual free days. I'd just spend your entire time in Paris.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Look at a map. You need to understand some of the geography. Italy is way too far to go to and from in four days. Still to Paris, maybe Amsterdam but that is about it.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM

Stay in Paris. With 5 days you have no time for a trip to Italy.
You could take a day trip out of Paris but with 5 days you'll barely scratch the surface of the city.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Agree with everyone to stay in or close to Paris for the 5 days you have.
You could check out the champagne region as a relatively easy day trip from Paris if you're interested. You may not see much of the vineyards, but visiting the wineries and cellars can be a great experience.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 09:06 PM

Agree with all of the above. You don't have time to go to Italy. Stay in Paris for those days. Take a day trip to Versailles. If this is your first trip to Europe, understand, you can't see it all in one short trip, especially not a first trip.