Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do things like lipstick and lip moisturizer need to go in the 1-quart bag? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-things-like-lipstick-and-lip-moisturizer-need-to-go-in-the-1-quart-bag-867375/)

Underhill Nov 21st, 2010 10:45 AM

Do things like lipstick and lip moisturizer need to go in the 1-quart bag?

I've read through the information on the TSA site, but what about lipstick, lip moisturizer, cuticle softener and such?

sassy_cat Nov 21st, 2010 10:59 AM

Liquids and gels go in the bag.
I don't think lipsticks and lip moisturizers are either if they're 'stick' ones. If you mean the type that come in the squirty tubes then yes I'd include them.

I don't put solid deodorant sticks in the bag either and I've never had any problems going through security but sometimes it's the luck of the draw!

JulieVikmanis Nov 21st, 2010 11:00 AM

I am a chapstick addict and often wind up with one in my pocket as the TSA searches me. They sometimes ask what it is or even to put it in the box that goes through the scanner but they never complain that it isn't in my 1 qt. bag. i've also had them in my purse--outside the 1 qt. bag--and never been chastized.

grandmere Nov 21st, 2010 11:31 AM

I just toss them in my qt. bag to be safe but sounds as though it isn't really necessary.

Have I missed your mention of an upcoming trip, Jean?

janisj Nov 21st, 2010 11:49 AM

solid 'bullet' type products -- lipstick/Chapstick, etc do not have to be in the baggie

But if it is a liquid/gel(uses a brush or wand or finger tip to apply) then it does go in the ziplok.

So lip gloss/moisturizers/mascara/roll-on deodorant - yes.
Lipstick, chapstick, solid deodorant - no.

To be safe you can place everything in the baggie -- but you don't need to.

Underhill Nov 22nd, 2010 02:12 PM

Hi, Grandmere--

I don't think I posted(or wrote to you) anything about the upcoming trip to France (Nice and environs) We'll be experimenting with an apartment this time, then moving over to a B&B new to us for the balance of the trip so as to be nearer our friends in Grasse. As usual, the closer to our leaving date, the more I want to cancel the whole thing and just stay home! Getting from here to there is becoming less and less fun and more and more stressful with each trip. Where is Scotty and his transporter? I'm ready to be beamed.

joannyc Nov 22nd, 2010 03:48 PM

I have never removed the hotel-size moisture lotion from my purse and have never been questioned about it.

joannyc Nov 22nd, 2010 03:51 PM

Meant to add that I've never removed the small container of hand sanitizer from my carry-on either and, again, have never been questioned.

In fact, I've never used a baggie for any liquid and I fly from JFK.

november_moon Nov 22nd, 2010 04:09 PM

I was questioned about a gel-type lip moisturizer at the Munich airport a couple weeks ago. I had it in my handbag, not in the quart bag. The security agent asked to check my bag and then found the moiturizer, verified what it was, tossed it back in my handbag and off I went. It has been in my handbag for many flights and usually no one even asks about it.