Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do the Italians appreciate you speaking some Italian? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-the-italians-appreciate-you-speaking-some-italian-621719/)

schnookies Jun 7th, 2006 02:59 PM

Do the Italians appreciate you speaking some Italian?

Just out of curiousity....do they appreciate you knowing a few lines and words in Italian? Or do they laugh at you and prefer you to speak English?

JoanneH Jun 7th, 2006 03:06 PM

they laugh and appreicate that your making the effort. And some do not speak english well as I do not speak Italian well. If you make the effort you will be well rewarded

annhig Jun 7th, 2006 03:08 PM

Our experience is that it depends where you are. In the lakes, we found english very widely spoken; though no-one laughed when tried our italian, they tended to answer in english. To our surprise, in Rome english was less prevalent, and we found our rudimentary knowledge greeted with pleasure; at times, it was actually useful! As discussed elsewhere, I recommend Michel Thomas's italian course, but there are plenty of others.

SeaUrchin Jun 7th, 2006 03:08 PM

of course they will appreciate it, if you do it in a cute way with a little lisp.

seriously, learn some words and it will make your trip easier.

StCirq Jun 7th, 2006 03:14 PM

Don't you think it's kind of a universal axiom that folks like to be addressed in their own language, even if it's a halting attempt?

chicagolori Jun 7th, 2006 03:15 PM

schnookies - in your prior posts you said you visited Italy last year ... did you not encounter Italian speaking people?

francophile03 Jun 7th, 2006 03:16 PM

It never hurts to learn the local language anywhere you travel and it'll be more appreciated than not. In Italy, the shopkeepers will be absolutely happy if you learn 'Quanta costa?' (How much does it cost?).

Mandieness Jun 7th, 2006 03:45 PM

I just returned from Italy last week. I learned a little Italian, just to get by on. It helped, if nothing more than to break the ice. If you ask "Parla Inglase" some say yes right away. Others, know English, but we talk too fast for them to interpret. Speak slowly and learn the basics and you should be fine.

chicagolori Jun 7th, 2006 03:48 PM

But she was there before so I am trying to figure out the purpose of the question ...

Bus Jun 7th, 2006 03:51 PM

I've been laughed at for my efforts in another language more than once. But you know what - both the laugher and I enjoyed it - it's a warm experience.

hanl Jun 7th, 2006 10:50 PM

On a recent trip to Italy I found that the Italians were very receptive and willing to speak Italian to me, even when they'd initially addressed me in English. I actually do speak Italian quite well but haven't spoken it for some time, as I'm learning another Romance language (Romanian) and I kept getting the two languages muddled up in my head!

I always think you get a better response when you attempt to speak the native language, and you often get better service too.

The only place where somebody insisted on speaking English even though I spoke in Italian was at one of the museums in San Gimignano. I was a bit annoyed - how was she to know I spoke English, as my husband and I were speaking to each other in French when we walked in (he's from Paris).

ira Jun 8th, 2006 02:55 AM

Hi hanl,

>...how was she to know I spoke English..<

Since she didn't speak French, she figured that the odds were pretty good that you spoke English.

((I))

sallyjane3 Jun 8th, 2006 03:04 AM

While in Rome and Venice, I experienced that most everyone was very proud of their English-speaking ability (which they should be b/c it was excellent). When i complimented one server on his flawless English, he said, "Thanks, I grew up in Houston."

Small world....

hanl Jun 8th, 2006 03:14 AM

" Since she didn't speak French, she figured that the odds were pretty good that you spoke English."

Hi Ira,
I get your point, what I meant was that seeing as I addressed the lady in Italian, she had no need to switch to English...

stormbird Jun 8th, 2006 03:53 AM

I personally think it's just good manners to try and learn a couple of basic phrases.

When I lived in the Middle East mastering Arabic was quite a challenge but I thoroughly enjoyed trying to speak it and the traders in the markets etc really seemed to appreciate the effort.

Now Italian - I just LOVE that language - rolling your rrrrrs (something we don't even do moderately here in Oz) emphasis on a certain syllable - aahh it truly is a language that just loves to roll off the tongue.

Oh dear but France next year - I fear French, with my linguistic deficiencies and my Australian accent, is going to sound more like an insult then an attempt at good manners. I better start practising now.