Reload this Page >

DO THE CANALS SMELL IN VENICE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Sara

When you were in Venice,Italy did the canals smell?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:35 AM
John G

Yes, the canals do smell like sea brine, a sort of salty, fishy ordor. It isn't that bad once you get used to it. It is worse in the early morning and dissipates as the day progresses. If you are used to boats and the sea, you won't even notice the smell at all.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:40 AM
ana

Hi Sara:<BR><BR>We were there this past sept. (low tide). If you're on the ground, you can hardly smell the canals. <BR><BR>If you want a romantic gondola trip, full of music and romance, you will also have to deal wtith the garbagy ( sp?)-like smell of the canals (specially when going under the bridges). It does worst in some parts.<BR><BR>Best regards<BR>Ana<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Statia

Don't mean to butt in on your thread......but I'm wondering, too.<BR><BR>What time of year do they smell the worst? I plan to go in July, and have heard it's the worst in summer. I live near the ocean so I'm used to that sort of smell, but I've heard it's much worse in Venice during the summer.<BR><BR>Am I making a mistake?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Surlok

I've been to Venice in Winter, Summer and Fall, and was never bothered by the smell. To me, seems more a legend than a fact, but I'm maybe not too sensitive to sea smell, since I was born, raised and still live close to the sea.<BR>Regards,<BR>S

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Statia

Thanks Surlok.....maybe I'm not making a mistake after all since I live in the West Indies and am also used to the smell of the sea.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:53 AM
ana

I found the smell very strong UNDER the bridges. I grant, I do have a very sensitive sense of smell. Still I wouldn't miss out on the ride for the world.<BR>Ana

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Surlok

After reading the post replying to the other message, I feel that I must correct myself: I have never noticed any odor coming from the canals in Venice, but I'm used to the sea and its "scent".

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Statia

Surlok.....that's what I figured you meant. Thanks. I think that from what I've read, smell or no smell, it would be worth the trip, even in July.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:01 AM
ana

Surlock, good of you to clarify the statement.<BR><BR>Ana<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Surlok

The other post I referred to was:<BR>---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>"Author: Answer Guy ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/26/2002, 02:48 pm<BR><BR>Message: The canals in Venice can not smell because they lack olfactory systems."<BR>----------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>There is another thread with the same subject. ;ˆ ))

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:07 AM
ana

Hadn't seen that so your post was baffling. ;-)<BR><BR>Ana