Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do some Italian train routes not have mini fares?

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do some Italian train routes not have Mini fares? I have been eyeing Naples to Siena on Sept. 13th for some time now and have never seen a mini fare.

One other question - I purchased a train ticket this weekend on Trenitalia for Rome to Salerno (my credit card went through!) and my question is this - if a mini fare pops up, how do I go about getting a refund and trying to go after the mini fare?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of the route (Rome-Siena) is an R train, which does not have MINI fares. To get the MINI, book the two parts of the tickets separately, Naples-Rome and Rome-Siena.

For me, the anticipated agony of attempting to get a refund from Trenitalia would not be worth the savings of changing a ticket to the less expensive fare.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you book R trains individually? When I tried to price to see the difference it told my that it was not available at this time. Any advice?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can only book R trains online 7 days ahead. However, there is no good reason to do so—no reserved seats, no discounts. Just purchase your R ticket in Italy before you travel.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
GAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Refunds of the "BASE" (regular) fare (prior to date and time of travel) carry a 20% forfeiture, which significantly offsets any advantage of finding a decent "MINI" fare for the same segment.

Refunds of the "MINI" fare carry a 50% forfeiture, and must be done no later than 23:59 of the day prior to scheduled travel.

The "MINI" fare is NEVER offered on ANY of the "regionale" ("R" or "Reg") trains.