Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do people swim in Lake Como in the summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-people-swim-in-lake-como-in-the-summer-772837/)

nevertooold Mar 13th, 2009 04:29 AM

Do people swim in Lake Como in the summer?

We are planning 2-3 days in mid-July at Lake Como (Varenna), and because of the anticipated heat during the summer, we would like to have the option of swimming in Lake Como.

Do people swim in the Lake, or is it just too cold?

Despite my best efforts, I cannot find this out on my own, and I would appeciate any advice.

As always, many thanks for any responses.

StCirq Mar 13th, 2009 04:59 AM

People swim in all the Italian lakes in summer. It's not cold.

Big_Red Mar 13th, 2009 07:19 AM

There are beach clubs (Italian word is 'Lido') at Varenna, Lenno, Menaggio, Bellagio(south but not too long a walk), and Lierna, there are proably others. The lido at Bellano is a hang-out for the local teenagers.

Big_Red Mar 13th, 2009 07:24 AM

For Varenna, the beach club is just north of the ferry stop. There is a foot bridge over the Olivedo river. The beach club has changing huts, snack bar, a raised eating/viewing platform, etc.

nevertooold Mar 13th, 2009 10:14 AM

Thanks StCirq and Big Red - we were debating on whether to visit this area due to our fears that the water would not be warm enough, so it is a relief to now be able to continue with our plans to visit Lake Como in July.

ekscrunchy Mar 13th, 2009 10:52 AM

Lake Como is a deep glacier lake. Although you can certainly swim, I don't think the water is going to be very warm, even in summer.

nevertooold Mar 13th, 2009 12:03 PM

Does anybody know from experience?

Sorry to keep asking, but I have no desire to join the Polar Bear Club in July.

Thanks again.

sharona Mar 13th, 2009 12:12 PM

From Wikipedia on Lake Como:

"Water temperatures can reach an average of 24°C (75°F) during the month of July."

ekscrunchy Mar 13th, 2009 12:41 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

Big_Red Mar 15th, 2009 04:44 PM

Nevertooold,

I have never been to Lake Como later than mid or late June. The only time that I have personally seen a significant number of people in the lake is sailboarders, in wetsuits, at the northern end of the lake.

You can still go to Lake Como, thousands do every year. But going to Lake Como is more about scenery than the swimming scene. Lake Como is 6 miles from Switzerland and I don't see how the water can get to a comfortable, Florida like temperature. Several of the top tier hotels have their swimming pools actually floating in the lake (that should be a hint).

BTW, from the time I was 16 until I was 40, my family had a summer house on the Georgia coast (lots of Beach). I have been to more beaches in my life than I have fingers but Lake Como is the most beautiful place I have ever been to (so don't take it off of your list).