Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do old Italian men still flirt (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-old-italian-men-still-flirt-667837/)

theregoesminerva Jan 6th, 2007 03:25 PM

Do old Italian men still flirt

Hello again. I have a new old boyfriend who is in the late fifties like me. He wants to take me to Italy for a long holiday. The trouble is he is jealous and said he will pop any men who flirt with me. I think he is joking and I don't think the old men still flirt or do they?

Scarlett Jan 6th, 2007 03:31 PM

Oh I hope they still flirt!
Who says because they are "old", they can't flirt? lol

I would get a new boyfriend :D

cigalechanta Jan 6th, 2007 03:31 PM

Not only will they flirt with you but they will have the "Black Hand" take him away :)

LucieV Jan 6th, 2007 03:39 PM

As I once heard a very sexy woman say, "Any guy who doesn't flirt with me isn't interested in women."

I'd add to that: any guy who doesn't flirt isn't interested in women. Enjoy it, wherever it comes from!

(Though I do distinguish between flirting & lechery, neither of which has anything to do with age. ;) )

bellastarr Jan 6th, 2007 03:39 PM

yes they do, quite well, as always!

kenderina Jan 6th, 2007 03:47 PM

They do , more than younger ones :) But it's a bit of a joke..not at all offending.

degas Jan 6th, 2007 03:47 PM

Honey, where you been lately?

Fifty sure isn't old anymore and most of us still got all our equipment in fine working order. Maybe you will get lucky and get pinched.

Do plenty of "rump buster" exercises before you go so you don't disappoint some older Italian fella.

coffeetoffee646 Jan 6th, 2007 03:52 PM

Yes, they flirt. Most men in Spain, Italy, and South America do.

kenderina Jan 6th, 2007 03:54 PM

In Spain ? I have never seen that here...maybe I'm too young ? :P

kleroux Jan 6th, 2007 03:55 PM

If your guy thinks he needs to pop every man who looks at you, you might want to rethink traveling with him...take a girlfriend instead and have more fun.
Or travel to Northern Europe and he won't have to worry....

coffeetoffee646 Jan 6th, 2007 03:57 PM

I found it in spain, although it's much more common in italy and south america. france not so much.

athornberry Jan 6th, 2007 03:59 PM

they might .. but honestly on my contiki vacation our tour manager advised us that if we appeared taken i.e. a wedding ring or a boyfriend on our arm they would usually steer clear..

Ann1 Jan 6th, 2007 04:07 PM

Not true, Athornberry, married, engaged, fiftyish and more, etc. Young and old will flirt in Italy. We (my sister and I) fiftyish with wedding rings have had a lot of fun with it. They know they're safe and can have fun flirting. if your boyfriend can't laugh at it, I agree with the above post....go with a friend. Our husbands laugh at us.

Ann1 Jan 6th, 2007 04:09 PM

I should have said our husbands laugh with us.

theregoesminerva Jan 6th, 2007 04:27 PM

I am glad to see the Fodorites are right on form just like the olden days.

I told the BF the irony of his machoness is the same as the old men flirting. He is posturing and won't hit anyone. Even funnier he is Italian himself.

amp322 Jan 6th, 2007 04:36 PM

I remember going to Rome when I was 15, and an OLD (65! ;-) ) man was totally pressed up against me on the bus, and was rubbing my butt with certain parts of his body...!!! I had no other option than to turn around & scowl at him, because the bus was so crowded. Needless to say, even to this day, I pretty much think of Italian men as pigs. By the way, why do you think only old men will flirt with you? If you are in good shape, I bet you will attract attention from teenagers on.

degas Jan 6th, 2007 04:44 PM

"I had no other option than to turn around & scowl at him."

I bet that really got the old coot worked up.

Option #1: knee to groin just as the bus stops. Works like a charm.

LucieV Jan 6th, 2007 04:47 PM

<i>Needless to say, even to this day, I pretty much think of Italian men as pigs</i>

My sister got assaulted in London. She still likes the English. A lot.

Friend got his camera stolen in Mexico. He returns to Mexico frequently. Loves the people.

I got food poisoning in Dubrovnik. I've since had some wonderful meals in Croatia.

And oh, yeah, last year my car got broken into in my beloved SF. I wouldn't call San Franciscans criminals.
;)

Tiff Jan 6th, 2007 05:01 PM

I think they do, but it is in a manner that is with the utmost respect and quite flattering. It is not vulgar.

My DH and I were in Greve sitting at a little cafe. Two gentlemen of a very certain age so sweetly smiled, winked and said buon giorno to me, they almost stood halfway up as I approached the little table next to theirs. I smiled and replied buon giorno back, they were adorable and quite respectful. They were just as polite as my DH joined me at our table (although they did not wink at him, lol.)

My DH was not insulted in any way, we just smiled knowingly to one another.

I only wish half the men had the good manners of the Italian men I have come across.

I'm with Scarlett on this one, I think I would get a new boyfriend.
:)

LoveItaly Jan 6th, 2007 05:11 PM

Old men don't flirt? Only when they are dead, lol.

A different boyfriend, or going to Italy on your own or with a girlfriend might be more fun theregoesminerva.