Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do NOT eat at Trattoria a la Bricola in Venice!

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from our honeymoon in Venice. Trattoria/pizzeria a la Bricola in Venice is horrible! Looks pretty nice and comforting, but the service and food was horrible. Saw a few other couples upset with the food and/or service. They charged 13 Euros for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs that tasted like it was canned.

AVOID THIS PLACE!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Sorry you had a disappointment.
You might want to post this comment in the restaurant section of fodors.com (click at the top of this screen)
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:29 AM

I agree ... Restaurant thieves of Venice !!!

The waiter chats you up with niceties, explaining they have fresh fish, "non troppo grande per due", not too big for two. When ordered he puts on his jacket and needs to go out to find fish somewhere else. The fish is not shown to the customer before cooking so when it is brought to the table it turns out to be a hunk of fish, capable of feeding 4 people ... at 8 euro's per 100 gr. In the end, for lambrusco wine, two cold buffet starters, water and the fish, not even coffee or desert, they stick you with a bill of 180,1 euro !!! While you are sitting at a small wooden table with a paper napkin on it - not even covering the table - in what basically is ... a pizzeria. When complaining you get all the Italian rage poured over you, the waiter claiming he has worked in Dubai, Cipriano ... basically he is the shining star of the restaurant business and you are ... but a customer. Customers can only wish he had stayed in Dubai. Don't visit La Bricola .. Address San Marco 475-6.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:08 AM

I would be wary of any restaurant near St. Marks or the Rialto.
I would also beware of any place offering spaghetti and meatballs.
I'm pretty sure that it is American and not authentically Italian.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:22 AM

As soon as I read "spaghetti and meatballs" I knew the place was bad.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:48 AM

by350:

I sympathize completely. My wife and I had a horrible experience on our 10th wedding anniversary at a miserable "restaurant" in Venice not far from St. Mark's — Ai Due Vescovi. The New York Times had given it a favorable review in its Sunday Travel section a few days before we left for Italy, so we thought it would be the place to go for a celebration. I won't go into the particulars here, though I did on tripadvisor. I wrote that review recently, 17 years after the nightmare, spurred by a woman who had just skewered the restaurant on tripadvisor for her own good reasons. (Yet, if you look up the "Two Bishops" on tripadvisor, you'll find some who praise it. Baffling.) You would be doing others a favor by going on tripadvisor and voicing your complaints. Maybe you have already. (Your unfortunate experience will prompt me to look up La Bricola on tripadvisor.)
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Sorry, but it seems a fake review to me. You should prove it by scanning the restaurant receipt or posting a photo. how could we believe an anonymous stating that he ate "spaghetti and meatballs"? What the hell are "spaghetti and meatballs"?
I'm Italian and I've never seen such a weird thing. Nor a homeless would eat such a crappy mixture. Meatballs in a first course, in an Italian restaurant in Venice: are you joking?
Unless you give us a prove, it would be very hard to believe that both those things happened: a restaurant serving "spaghetti and meatballs" (LOL), a person ordering it.

As a general consideration, not considering the review: yes, restaurants in Venice can be both expensive and low quality, that's nothing new.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
And evidently in over seven years they have only gotten worse.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:16 AM

I don't think it can be repeated enough on this site that unless you know a specific restaurant, walk away from the tourist sites and into the more residential areas to eat. Look for where the local people eat. If the menu is only in Italian, even better. A good waiter will get the point across. My daughter and her friends had a waiter who acted out bunny, chicken, beef.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:27 AM

....Meatballs in a first course, in an Italian restaurant in Venice: are you joking?
Unless you give us a prove, it would be very hard to believe that both those things happened: a restaurant serving "spaghetti and meatballs" (LOL), a person ordering it.....

I suspect that it was a main course and not a first course.
I have certainly never seen it on a menu in Italy. It seems popular in the USA.
We once stayed in a hotel near the Rialto and one evening when it was pouring rain, we went into one of the restaurants in the area. The food was dreadful and grossly overpriced.
As people say, it's best to avoid the main tourist areas. You often don't even have to walk far to find a nice little restaurant popular with locals.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM

People in Italy do not eat spaghetti and meatballs - this is a sure sign of a tourist trap. And Venice has a lot of bad restaurants (unlike other places in Italy) since there are so many more tourists than locals (who won;t go into or back to a place with subpar food).

We had one bad meal there - at a name restaurant - and refused to pay for anything but the appetizers (the "lightly sauteed" fish was crunchy all the way through and so salty I couldn;t stop coughing - after one bite). They threatened the police, we said "bring them on" - and then walked out - leaving what we felt we owed in cash. After that we were much more careful about finding places that locals ate in - or we knew would be good.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
as nikki has pointed out, this thread is over 7 years old.

How did it get resurrected???
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM

It was resurrected by Devege who had a bad experience at the same restaurant. At least it is consistent.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM

ttt
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Peter, you need to check it out for us!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"It was resurrected by Devege who had a bad experience at the same restaurant."

And Devege took the time to register to do it
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM

It is, or should be, common knowledge that 1) spaghetti and meatballs is a purely American dish and no self-respecting Italian restaurant would serve it, and 2) fish is often served according to weight (the etto), and will almost always be quite costly. If you have enough Italian to understand "non troppo grande per due," you should have enough to ask how many ettos you're getting and what the price per etto is.

There. Now you know.

Don't eat at any place that has pictures of the food, either.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM

'People in Italy do not eat spaghetti and meatballs' said nytraveller, and 'As soon as I read "spaghetti and meatballs" I knew the place was bad.' said k9korps. StCirq added 'spaghetti and meatballs is a purely American dish and no self-respecting Italian restaurant would serve it'.
Well, I don't know about all that, but my mother-in-law comes from Puglia, and she makes meatballs and serves them in a tomato sauce with spaghetti (or other pasta). The thing is, she calls them 'polpette'. Would you have been quite so horrified if you saw 'Spaghetti con Polpette' on the menu?
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Quadris has pictures of the food on its menu. Quadris has a passable reputation, I believe.

They do a good spritz too.

Bert, we walked past the shop with the electrical fittings a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Bert, In Puglia, your mother-in-law's mother and grandmother served spaghetti (or other pasta) with tomato sauce as the first course and the polpette as the second course; they did not serve them together on one plate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information