Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Do Milan on way to Lake Como or take another day and go back?

Do Milan on way to Lake Como or take another day and go back?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Carole

Do Milan on way to Lake Como or take another day and go back?

Hi, We are leaving French Riviera and staying three nights in Varenna. Is it feasible to stop in Milan (with a rental car) see the Duomo, Galleria and Last Supper and then go on to Varenna or is it better to go right to Varenna and take the train back another day to Milan and see what we want? I realize I have to book tickets for the Last Supper, just not sure which day. How have you booked your tickets for Last Supper? The only way I see is to call Italy. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:07 AM
ppp

The driving time from, say, Nice to Varenna should read about 4 hours, whether your drive directly or to the west shore of Lake Como and take a ferry over. The drive in/out Milan and the time needed to garage your car should add up to one hour, approx. In principle, therefore, you'd have time to see both, the Last Supper and Duomo, as well as the Galleria (eventually having lunch there). In your shoes, though, considering that the train ride from Varenna to Milan is only one hour, I'd drive directly to Varenna. This would save me some stress (driving in/out, looking for a garage, being worried about luggage, etc) and would enable me to stay longer in Milan in case I decided so at the spur of the moment (there are quite a few other "goodies" in Milan, as the Pinacoteca Brera, Castello Sforzesco, Sant'Eustorgio and San Ambrogio Romanesque Basilicas, La Scala, the fancy shopping disctrict between La Scala and Piazza Cavour, the pleasant Navigli District with its boutiques, bars and restaurants, etc.)

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:53 AM
Jean

We were able to see the Last Supper without obtaining tickets in advance.

There is a "hopefuls" line for people without tickets. On a space-available basis, small numbers of hopefuls are let in. We got in line (October) at about 2:30 p.m. and waited 45 minutes. We could see we weren't making any progress, so we left and came back around 5:30 p.m. We were inside within 30 minutes.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:51 PM
Rex

I'd say just telephone there. No problem to communicate with them over the phone. Re-post if you're having trouble finding the number. Maybe try searching "cenacolo" - - not so easy to search a word like "last" or "supper" or "Maria" or "Grazie".

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 24th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Rex

As long as you're one of those travelers who doen't mind getting an early start (say, on the road by nine), I think you could shoot for a 2-3-ish reservation for Last supper - - and even still have a look at the Duomo, making it to Varenna by supper time easily enough.

But i have never driven to Varenna per se (only visited there by ferry from Menaggio/Bellagio). So I hope you get opinions on this other than mine.

Mar 24th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Rex

Whhops - - failed to clarify - - this was in response to your e-mail to me. I see now that I didn't answer this aspect of your original question.

In general, I prefer to answer questions here. not that I mind e-mail. It's just that I so, SO respect/support the premise of this forum. Public answers to publicly asked questions benefit lots of people. Private answers help one person. and I like the "cross-examination", amplification and digression that often ensues here.

Mar 24th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Howard

I'd opt for the public transportation route to Milan. It doesn't take that long, and it'll save you a lot of driving and parking hassles.

Mar 24th, 2002, 02:05 PM
topper

to the top

Search this Thread