Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do many women wear slacks in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-many-women-wear-slacks-in-paris-184951/)

Betty Sep 4th, 2001 08:31 AM

Do many women wear slacks in Paris?

I'm going to Paris at the end of the month. After all the postings I've read about appropriate clothing, I still have one question: is it okay for women to wear slacks? I am only referring to the daytime (I would only wear dresses at night) and for general sightseeing. Please help!

Lori Sep 4th, 2001 08:38 AM

Betty, <BR>I've been to Paris many times and always wear slacks (decent looking ones and usually black), but I have also worn jeans and no one frowned upon me :-) (Jeans with a nice blazer & top look OK if you can wear them). I have French relatives and they all wear slacks as well (& jeans on weekends or at home). For work (and they work in offices, and various professions) they wear dresses/skirts and/or slacks to work. I have not taken a dress or skirt on a trip to Europe in many years, nice black pants can be dressy at night and casual for day.

curious Sep 4th, 2001 08:43 AM

Not only is it O.K., but when I was in Paris the overwhelming majority of women were wearing slacks rather than dresses.

angry Sep 4th, 2001 08:51 AM

Please, could you be less shallow? WHO CARES!!!!!

Leone Sep 4th, 2001 09:05 AM

It does matter ... and here's a town where the B,B aand MORE B rule is extant. Have a great tip. Ciao

Allison Sep 4th, 2001 09:10 AM

I completely agree with Leone (however, I'm not sure I understand the B, B and more B reference: please explain). <BR> <BR>Angry, get a clue! And for God's sake, don't travel abroad until you do!

curious Sep 4th, 2001 09:14 AM

Allison, I'll interpret, Black, Black and more Black. I have to say most women were wearing black slacks or jeans. The last time I was there was in winter however.

xx Sep 4th, 2001 09:43 AM

oops!! sorry I thought this one was a joke.......

kathy Sep 4th, 2001 04:55 PM

Sorry, I guess I'm shallow, too. I was very interested in what to pack for my trip. I don't mind being seen as a tourist, but didn't want to appear to be an ignorant, insensitive tourist. I wore mostly dresses & skirts, with some capri pants. Many, many women wore slacks in Paris -- very, very tight slacks at that, with scanty tops to go with them. It stuck me funny that shorts are not considered acceptable, but that Parisian clothing really leaves little to the imagination --

Art Sep 4th, 2001 04:59 PM

Betty, not withstanding Paris being the fashion capital of the world, every time I've been in Paris, I found the woman to be poorly dressed compared to other major cities in Europe. <BR>Regards <BR>

carol Sep 5th, 2001 08:18 AM

Art, I am in qualified agreement with you. I found that in the Latin Quarter and many parts of St. Germain, women did not dress well at all--not that they looked sloppy--they're all too trim and tiny for that. But they certainly didn't look chic. On the other hand, in the 7th and 8th arrs. I found some of the chicest and most elegant women I've ever seen. My conclusion is that when Parisians don't dress well, they tend to look like tramps--but when they do dress well, they are incomparable.