Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to travel with my driver's license?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went to Australia, I didn't use it at all. Especially since my DL is still in my maiden name (passport is being changed as we speak), should I even bother to take it to France or just leave it at home?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:57 AM

That surely depends whether you plan to drive a car in France.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
ira

Hi P,

Your passport is sufficient for ID. You need a DL only if you plan to drive.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

No driving is in the plans.

I guess I was wondering if it would serve as valid ID if something should happen to my passport.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM

On our recent trip to Italy we had to provide a ID card (for the company to hold to) in order to get a tour headset. We used our drivers license.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Paucie -- if you have your passport, you will have all the ID you need (as long as you don't plan to drive). If you DON'T have your passport, all your other ID will be almost worthless. If something happens to it, your absolute first priority should be to get a replacement. Keep a photocopy of it (separate from the original) with you and with a trusted friend back home. If you can provide a copy of it and passport-size photos of yourself, you can usually get a replacement passport at the embassy or consulate within 24 hours (after a LOT of hassle, expense, and lectures about not losing it in the first place).

As Saps noted, an alternate ID would be useful when you need to give an ID for museum visits. This would not have to be your driver's license, so perhaps a work or student ID.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM

It could serve as a valid ID for some things, but probably nothing very official where they would require a passport. If you lost your passport, I think you would have a lot to worry about just in getting that replaced.

Why would you not take it, anyway? I've heard of packing light, but this seems a bit much. I would never go anywhere without mine. What if your plane gets diverted upon landing due to problems or weather and you have to rent a car to drive home without warning? (You think that never happens? It's happened to me three times, twice due to weather and once due to an unforeseen landing for a medical emergency). How do you even get to the airport without driving? I guess if you live in a place where you never drive anyway, that would be more your usual custom, though (like NYC).
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM

If you are going to visit Versailles in France and want to rent a golf cart to ride around the grounds you will need your driver's license.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Take you drivers lic only if you plan on driving.

Or - if you plan on losing your passport- then it's handy as a government document with your photo as ID.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM

I bring my driver's license to use as ID when you have to leave something for security such as in a museum for the audio guide. Rather my license than my passport or credit card. I am quite sure I got that idea from a post here some time back
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Mara, good answer. I'd much rather leave my drivers license as a "deposit" in a museum than either my passport or a credit card. I've done it quite a few times.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never taken mine, just a passport, and a copy of that.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I carry a color copy of my passport to give out for deposits or to hotel personnel . . . it's never been refused and if I don't get it back, no biggie, as I have plenty more . . . and I email a copy to my travel email account in case I run out of copies!

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:35 PM

That's interesting about leaving a copy of a passport, as I don't know why anyone would think that meant anything. If the museum is handing you an expensive audiophone, they KNOW you will return to pick up a driver's license or a credit card or your passport, but could easily walk away and leave your copy of a passport as it would mean nothing to you. As you say, sandy, you carry lots of them, so why would you care if you didn't get one back?

I'm not sure how many places would accept that Passport copy, but I did see someone try that at the Villa Borghese and was refused.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I had to leave something to get the audio phone at Musee D'Orsay, so I was glad to have my driver license.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Since I never carry my passport on my person in Europe or anywhere else in the world when I travel, I have to carry some form of official Govt. ID, and that would be the DL. If you get stopped, (and I was, out on the streets of Milan one night-soooo funny that was!) you need to be able to show some form of identification, and a driver's license is just fine.

Moreover, as pointed out, to get an audioguide at a museum, you must leave an ID, and I would never leave my passport (just as I would never take it with me in the first place) so the DL works just fine as an ID here as well. If it gets lost, stolen, no problem, it takes about 5 minutes at the DMV to print out another-not so with the lost passport overseas.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Like many, I dont like giving up my passport for ANYTHING (call me cynical).

In a few countries, forms of positive ID are needed for various rentals such as cars, golf carts, golf clubs, EVEN THOSE TOURIST AUDIO GUIDES (just happened to me in Granada at the Ahlahmbra.)

The irony of the situation: while a passport is a necessity for international travel...I rarely bust it out except for the airport.

Generally, I feel more comfortable locking up my passport in the hotel/hostel safe (except when I am in E. European countries...I carry it on me).

Thus, I travel with my licenses as my ID...which is enough of ID for what you need on most any occasion.

Personally, I say bring both!!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Great answers, everyone. Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM

I've never needed (been asked for) my American Drivers License while living or traveling in Europe. My MIL is asked all the time for her Italian drivers license when she visits here (the US) and tries to use her credit cards. I suppose perfectly coiffed, manicured, botoxed, bleached 65 yr old women dressed in Valentino and Prada fit some sort of credit card fraud profile. The looks she gets when she presents her Italian drivers license (a forty year old wad of pink fabric all written by hand with a faded ancient photo of her) makes me laugh every time. Take it anyway, you just never know....
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:48 AM

And I would recommend travelling with an <b>expired</b> license as this is still valid for identification if not for actual driving. (It's often suggested to leave unnecessary credit cards, membership cards, etc. at home simply to make life easier if an unfortunate event occurs.) I maintain a slim id case which holds an expired license, extra health insurance card, and the select credit &amp; ATM cards I use for travel. It's rather a secret pleasure to know I can grab this id case, passport, leftover currency and my always-ready carryon and just go!