Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to purchase "rental insurance" with my car rental in Croatia????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving next week for a 16 day trip to Croatia. We will be renting a car in Zagreb airport and driving to Rovinj, then down to Dubrovnik (with stops along the way).
I reserved our rental car through CheapTickets with Hertz. I've read that it is recommended that we purchase "rental insurance" or Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).
What's the scoop with this?????
Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM

First of all, how are you paying for your rental car? Do you have a credit card that provides you with car rental insurance in Croatia?
What are the conditions of the rental car from Hertz. What is included and what is not included?
You should have a reservation number for the car from Hertz and you can call them to find out.
CDW is coverage for damage to the car that is not included with the rental. It is called excess but we would probably describe it as deductible.
This is why you need to check with Hertz for the conditions of your rental and go from there.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:41 AM
ira

Good advice from Sher.

Does your contract call for no insurance or CDW with a deductible. There is also Super CDW.

Also see if your CC covers you in Croatia. If it does, you don't need CDW.

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM

You need to determine exactly what coverage is provided by the card you will use to pay for the rental. And be sure you get the latest information. I just found out (unhappily) that my credit card had changed the rules (in one of those very lengthy foldouts printed in mousetype that they send you with increasing frequency) and the insurance now has a $500 deductible.

Unfortunately some idiot backed up into me (I was in a rented car) in a parking lot and the damage is $483 dollars. The miscreant has not responded to the rental car company - so now I have to pursue it with them and their insurance company. the situation is kind of complicated (won;t go into all the details) but I have a feeling I'm going to have to take them to small claims court to collect.

I really don;t want to waste the time doing this - and the money really isn't worth the time - but at this point it's become the principle of the thing. I won't be taken by this woman and allow her to escape the consequences of her incompetence/carelessness. (Among other things she tried to drive away from the scene until a car in front of her blocked her exit.)
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I wouldn't even have considered the CDW, but the Rick Steves guide suggested it... I called my cc company and I've covered. Will decline the additional coverage.
Thanks & happy travels!
Denise