Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to make train reservations for Orvieto?

Feb 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

We leave for Rome tomorrow and we are planning on a day trip to Orvieto next Saturday. I didn't want to make reservations in advance I figured that I could get tickets at a travel agency or we could just go to Termini and get them that morning...
Do you think that it is best to do make reserations or is it relatively easy to get seats this time of year?
Feb 17th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

oh, my...I should have reread this post...forgive my type-o's...wish fodor's had a edit option.
Feb 17th, 2007, 05:30 AM
ira

HI R,

I would wait until I got to Rome. Saturday might be rainy and you would prefer to go another day.

Feb 17th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Its a short ride and there are lots of trains on the line - you should just be able to go over and get them that morning
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I would make the reservations the day before at a travel agent. That will allow you to avoid the long lines at Termini which might be even longer than usual because it is a weekend. Also, some trains are through trains that do not originate in Rome so you might want to make sure to have a seat. The cost is only a couple of euros to book at a travel agency; worth it to me. There are trains MORE OR LESS every hour; most are through trains.
Feb 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses...I was reluctant to book ahead because of weather consideration, too. I will book with a travel agent closer to the end of the week...

Is there a travel agency near Largo Argentina or in Trastevere that anyone is familiar with?
Feb 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Yes. Pantheon Travel behind Piazza della Minerva (look for the Bernini elephant) A couple of short blocks north of Largo Argentina. They booked my Orvieto train tickets a day before I took the train ride last month. Coming from Largo Argentina, make a left turn right before the elephant and look for the agency at the end of the block. The ticket cost 12 Euro per person with a 3 euro service charge.
Feb 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM

We rarely bother with advance reservations on Italian trains.

BUT, if you want to do so: just ask at your hotel or wherever you are staying. If they can't make the reservation for you (many are very willing to do that for their clients), they can tell you where the closest travel agent is. It won't be a problem.

Feb 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Sorry, Risab. That should read, "make a right turn right before the elephant" when walking north from Largo Argentina.
Feb 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Their address is Via di S. Caterina da Siena, 45.
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscrunchy... I know exactly where that is because my friend lives on via dei cestari - grazie!

Well...we leave tomorrow...I am so excited!