Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - must see's & do's in 3 days....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:29 AM
Elena

couple in mid-20's heading to Amsterdam for the first time next weekend. Staying in the Victoria Hotel -(Any comments on this hotel welcome)I Have read the Fodors miniguide and looked up a few website re; the 'must see's' but would love to hear opinions from people who have been there before, regarding the sites/trips not to miss and other tips or recommendations anyone may have. Thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Penny

Elena, how long will you be in Amsterdam? My tips would depend on your length of stay. Thanks.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Anna

Don't miss the Anne Frank House, the VanGogh Museum, or the Rijksmuseum. You have to check out the red light district too. Have dinner at an Indonesian rice table one night as well.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
Tony Hughes

Lot of nice Curry houses, Guyana-ian restaurants, chinese/ethnic-y places.<BR><BR>I enjoyed Anne Franks House on Prinsengracht. Canal tour was a little hit and miss, red light district was fun, useful place for last minute gifts for parents etc. Beautiful little 16th century genever bar (facing krasnapolsky hotel in dam square it's immediately on the right, through some glass doors) which messed emily and I up so much we spent the following day recovering in bed minus a camera, umbrella and about 4 hours worth of memory.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Penny

SORRY, Elena...I've just noticed that your length of stay is stated in your post title! Well, I'm just in from a long, hard week at work and I guess I'm not concentrating properly! I'll be brief, really, and just give you my tips in list form. Here goes:<BR><BR>1. Rijksmuseum OR Van Gogh Museum (both in three days is too much)<BR>2. For Indonesian rijstafel try the Lombok Indah, Bojo or Tempo Doeloe.<BR>3. Great bars: In t'Aepjen, De Roode Baron and Het Elfde Gebod are all very close to each other<BR>4. Stroll the Red Light District one night.<BR>5. Take a canal boat trip. Night time is best in my opinion.<BR>6. Have delicious chocolate cake or apple pie in Metz department store. The view is lovely.<BR>7. A wander in the Vondelpark is nice. Have coffee at Vertigo cafe at the Film Museum.<BR>8. If you fancy trying a coffeeshop, I'd recommend any one of these: Siberie, Greenhouse, Abraxas, Paradox (great fruitshakes there too) and Dutch Flowers. Steer clear of the very dimly lit places.<BR>9. Try the Vlaamse frites at the outlet in Voetboogstraat. They are outstanding. There's a good range of tasty sauces to have with them. I like mayonnaise best, but the satay sauce is nice too.<BR>10. Try the ice cream and chocolates from Australian Homemade. There are several shops in the city now.<BR>11. Stroll the canals at any and all times. Watch out for bikes.<BR><BR>I think you'll really enjoy the city. We love it dearly. Have a great time.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
AC

Elena:<BR>In addition to all the great recommendations listed here I also suggest a stop at the Heinekin Brewery. <BR>Have a great time in one of my favorite cities in Europe.