Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to buy Train tickets here in US?

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 11:25 AM
ofelia

We will be travelling between cities on end of May and we are thinking of buying in advance here. I saw train tickets being sold in www.raileurope.com. Do I need to buy train tickets from them here in US? I find them too expensive. I found out that is a handling fee of $10, seat reservation fee of $11 hence my first class fare will end up like this:

May 22 Venice-Florence $62
May 25 Florence-Rome $67
May 28 Rome-Naples $57

We have limited days (1 day-Venice, 2 days-Florence,2 days-Rome) in each city and will be travelling with a 2 1/2 yr old child hence I want to save time.
Any suggestions.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 11:37 AM
martha python

The only time I'd bother to buy tickets in advance is when I want to take a train that requires reservations the day I arrive. Otherwise, spend the fees on a nice lunch.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 11:50 AM
ofelia

Hi Martha
Thanks for the reply.

How do I know which train requires reservation?

Thanks,
ofelia

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:27 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening,ofelia

Go into www.fs-on-line.it/ place
the departure and arrival cities,
etc. Will get a good listings of
trains and those thay may require
reservations. There is also a
item called suppliment which is
reserving a seat on a specific train
on a specific day.
Richard of La Grange Park, IL...
PS We have always purchased out tickets
and suppliments in Amerx Office which
would be our first stop which is Rome,
it is located close to the Spanish Steps
they will have a service charge and
the suppliment for seat reservations
are still applicable...

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Sheri Woodhouse

We travelled on a rail pass last summer in August. We usually got reservations except when we travelled from Venice through Genoa to Levanto on a Sunday. Big mistake to get on that train without reservations. Our first class pass was no good, as all of first class was full. We ended up sitting on our bags for 3 hours in the last car which was not air conditioned. I think you definitely want reservations on the weekend.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 05:27 PM
RJD

Done it both ways-bought tickets there and used a US rail ticketing and reservation service. Using the US based service wins hands down. No hassle of waiting in line and no surprises when you have to sit on your baggage despite a rail pass, which has happened more than once when I didn't reserve in advance, especially in Italy.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 09:48 PM
Dan&Shirley

Buy your tickets over there as you need them. No hassle. Just step up and plunk down your credit card. If you think a reservation is necessary, be sure to get your ticket the day before. Don't wait until the last minute. We travel exclusively on trains and busses and they are so inexpensive, I'm always amazed. The only time we used reservations was from Florence to Venice. Otherwise, we just climed aboard and found seats immediately. Don't forget to get the ticket punched in the little machine at the Depot before boarding. That is a must.