Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Do I need to book the ICE train before leaving Australia? (Hannover to Frankfurt)

Do I need to book the ICE train before leaving Australia? (Hannover to Frankfurt)

Aug 24th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Do I need to book the ICE train before leaving Australia? (Hannover to Frankfurt)

Ok I have decided to book the entire trip myself. I have always done most of our trips but with at least some TA assistance. I have researched it all and can save a fortune doing it myself. So I'm quite excited now.
We will need to get from Hannover to Franfurt for our conncecting flight home to Aus. on Thurs, 26 Oct. Do I need to book this before leaving Aus. or can I 'turn up' and get a ticket in Hannover?

ps. we will be driving from Zurich to Hannover over a Saturday, Sunday & Monday, any suggestion for B&B's or places that we shouldn't miss on the way, greatfully accepted.

Thanks.
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:13 AM

I would advise you to bookmark the Bahn site URL so you can check timings yourself:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

WHAT did you decide to do re the "driving from Zurich..." issue? I thought you were considering training to Germany and booking the car there to avoid that "hefty drop charge" you were rightly concerned about.
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:12 AM

>Do I need to book this before leaving Aus. or can I 'turn up' and get a ticket in Hannover?

You can turn up and buy your ticket just before boarding. If you were travelling on a friday or sunday afternoon I would recommend getting a seat reservation a few days in advance, but as it is you won't need one. You can buy a seat reservation (+ Eur 1,50 if you buy it together with the tickets, +3 if separate) for the peace of your mind. But again, it is not NECESSARY.
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi A,

>We will need to get from Hannover to Franfurt for our conncecting flight home to Aus. on Thurs, 26 Oct. <

Does your flight leave on Thurs?

I suggest getting to Frankfurt the night before you leave.

Otherwise, you can buy your ticket at any German train station or online.

If you know which train you want, why not buy it now?

>we will be driving from Zurich to Hannover.

Without having to pay a dropoff fee?

Aug 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM

>If you know which train you want, why not buy it now?

It does not matter anyway since the ticket is not train-specific.
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM

If you want to go the day before your flight to give yourselves a safety cushion, remember that slower trains in Germany cost a lot less money.

Adult fare Hannover - Frankfurt (M) Hauptbahnhof (city) costs €71 by fast IC/ICE, direct, and takes 2:19 hrs.

A slower connection (still with IC and ICE) that requires one change of trains en route costs €64 and takes 2:43 hrs.

It cost €72 all the way to the airport, and takes 2:35 hrs to the airport with the direct one.

By slower regional trains (5:03 to 5:58 hrs) with 2 or 3 changes of trains it costs €40.20 to Frankfurt (M) Hbf plus a few additional Euros to the airport.

If you want to see the countryside and its people, the slower ones are more fun, and you save the money for a nice farewell dinner...
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I have taken on board all the suggestions re; the hire car. When weighing up the extra time to get across the boarder and the cost, and I have a decent quote from Europcar, (her in Australia, which is handy) we've decided to collect the car in Zurich.
The benefit (as i see it) is we are staying at the Walhalla, which is close to a major train station and we can pick the car up there.
As for transfering to Frankfurt the same day our flights leaves - Tues & Wed will be spent at the trade fair. So Thurs. it is. (We have to be home by Saturday!!)

Wallykringen .Do I understand your comment,
"It cost €72 all the way to the airport, and takes 2:35 hrs to the airport with the direct one."
to mean that we can board the train in Hannover and go 'directly' to the Frankfurt airport?
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
hsv

If travelling on the ICE you could even buy the ticket on the train. A small surcharge would be added to the ordinary fare - but nothing substantial.
In Hannover, there are also a few ticket machines on the platforms, so in order to avoid the surcharge by booking on the train you could use the last minute of waiting on the platform. The machines accept credit cards and booking requires just about 90 seconds.
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

HSV, thank you. What a great quick response. I am on the BAHN site now having a look. But your comment has convinced me to wait 'till we get there.
This will be our first trip "completely" booked by me, so I am very excited (& a little nervous). But the airfares alone I have saved $400AUD. As this is a company trip with an expenditure 'allowance' anything I can save on travel we can use for some nice dinners etc.
So thanks for your reassurance.
Aug 24th, 2006, 10:46 PM
hsv

One drawback, whoch I forgot to mention: A ticket does not guarantee you a seat. If there is a fair in Hannover, trains may be crowded - and while it's possible to get on the train, you might have to arrange yourself with having to sit in the aisle.
Otherwise, this is not too likely to happen.
If you want to completely rule out that risk, you would have to buy a ticket in advance and make a seat reservation (again at a minor surcharge).
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

yes HSV there will be fairs on, I wonder if by 'in advance' booking it on our arrival into Hannover will be advance enough to reserve a seat?
Perhaps I will book in advance from here, using the website. Can you see any problems with that?
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:16 AM

I made seat reservations for all our long travels, by internet. It was very easy, you give your credit card number (only once, for registration), then you can make reservations and print your seat ticket. I do not remember if I paid 3 euro or 1.5 euro per reservation.

(I did not buy train tickets, but only seat reservation, as we had a Flexi twin pass).

Aug 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
hsv

I agree with valtor.
No problems with the website. I usually buy my tickets via the website, print them and they will scan and honour them on the train.
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks to you both.

Ok, I will book and pay for the train tickets now. I notice there are a lot of choices for departure stations in Hannover.

Any suggestions as to which one I choose?

Staying at Vahrenwalder Hotel-
Strabe 181 Hannover 30165.

While on the subjet of trains, Can you suggest what train we 'jump' on at the Zurich Int. A/port to get into Zurich? Staying at the Walhalla which says its right by the Sihlquai station, but I can't find that station on the Bahn website.
Aug 25th, 2006, 02:38 AM

You have to take any train from airport to Zurich main railway station (Hauptbahnhof), there are trains each 10 minutes!.
I checked about the Walhalla hotel, and there is explained that from main railway station you should go out via Sihlquai EXIT. Probably there is a tram station named Sihlquai, but this has nothing to do with you.
Just take the train to Hauptbahnhof and then you will find the Sihlquai EXIT and your hotel.
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.

Sorry to be a bother........

When booking on line for the Hannover to Frankfurt ICE train. What station do I need to book to? Can I go direct to Airport? Or will I need to change trains in Frankfurt?

Thanks you are being very helpful.
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:30 AM

When booking on line for the Hannover to Frankfurt ICE train. What station do I need to book to? Can I go direct to Airport? Or will I need to change trains in Frankfurt?

Both. Yes, you can buy your ticket directly to the airport; and yes, you will most probably change the trains in Frankfurt main station. There are only a few connections without change. Your connecting train in Frankfurt will be probably a local (RE, RB) or suburban (S) train.
Just enter Hannover and Frankfurt Flughafen into www.bahn.de and look what comes out.
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Actually, there are more than few direct trains as there's one every hour at :41 (at least from 9:00 to 15:00 which is what I checked). These direct trains also save 40 minutes over connecting through Frankfurt. Note, you can use FRA (the Frankfurt airport code) as the destination station. As others have said, the ticket is just for the route, so you can take any train. If it might be busy, you can get a reservation, but it's not required. If you're not sure when you might leave, you could even buy a reservation for a couple of different trains when you first arrive in Hannover as reservations can be purchased seperately from the train ticket.

Have a good trip,
Paul
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will book the trains this weekend.
Yesterday I booked the flights direct with Singapore airlines.....what a breeze and I save over $400AUD.

I'm on a roll........thanks again.
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to harp but would love someone to check these stations are getting me from Hannover's main station to Frankfurt Airport? The site says 'no changes' which is a huge bonus. Thanks.
Depart 06.41 arrive 09.16 for a 12.35 flight.
*Hannover Hbf
*Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf

Search this Thread