Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need reservations for train travel from Milan to Nice?

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I might be taking a train (I see we will have to connect - so two trains) from Milan to Nice on Thursday, September 1. Do you think we'll need reservations for the 11:10 train?
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM

Yes, it's an intercity, reservation is compulsory.

Go to www.trenitalia.com, English button top right. Book from Milan to Ventimiglia NOT Nice, look for the train you want, select it and hit continue. Look for the drop down 'More fares' box and try 'smart price'. Book that ticket. Itll probably be ticketless, you just quote the booking reference on board the train.

On arrival at Ventimiglia on the French frontier simply buy a 5 euro ticket to Nice and hop on the next local train, no reservation required for this bit. Easy!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that information but Darn!!

We are flying into Milan because I was able to get my ticket with an AA award and Milan was the least painful option. So, our flight arrives in Milan at 8:00 a.m. - can I "reserve" tickets at the airport before making my way into Milan Central? I figure 3 hrs. gives us plenty of time to make the 11:10 train (am I wrong?) I ask because, what if the flight is delayed? Customs takes forever? If I buy tickets prior to leaving the USA, will they be honored for another train if I miss the original train? If there is a tourist info booth that reserves tickets at Malpensa, then I don't have to worry about making a particular train. What would you do?
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM

Sorry, brain failure, 'smart price' is for international journeys and Milan-Ventimiglia is Italian domestic, so look for a cheap 'Mini' fare to save money. But perhaps a 'base' fare is better if you're worried about missing the train as this can be changed.

Indeed, the base fare can be bought at the station at the same 'base' price, and the InterCity will hardly even sell out, unless it's a major event or holiday or something, so perhaps it's best to check prices online but simply buy when you get to Milano Centrale.

The ticket machines have an English language button and touch screen, easier to use than waiting and talking to someone at the ticket office!

Sorry, brain failure, 'smart price' is for international journeys and Milan-Ventimiglia is Italian domestic, so look for a cheap 'Mini' fare to save money. But perhaps a 'base' fare is better if you're worried about missing the train as this can be changed.

Indeed, the base fare can be bought at the station at the same 'base' price, and the InterCity will hardly even sell out, unless it's a major event or holiday or something, so perhaps it's best to check prices online but simply buy when you get to Milano Centrale.

The ticket machines have an English language button and touch screen, easier to use than waiting and talking to someone at the ticket office!

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM

Oops, had a lot of problems posting that!
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM

From Milan Aiport to Milan Central Station. Take the Malpensa Shuttle, departs every 20 minutes.. Takes one hour to get to Centraal station, so don’t worry you have plenty of time.Have a look at this website. http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm
Customs does not take forever, its only a passport check.! If there aren’t any queues, you will fly through it in about 30 seconds.
Tickets can be brought at the airport. Tickets office are situated in both terminal 1 and 2.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Man_in_seat_61 - how did you do that? HA! HA! So, you're saying we can buy our tickets to Ventimiglia in Milano Central - just not discounted tickets? I can't buy any train tickets (except for the Express) at the airport? I tried to find pricing on the trenitalia website but wasn't successful...I'll give it a go again.

TrainRider, you're saying I can buy Malpensa Shuttle tickets (not train tickets to Ventimiglia) at the airport? Why do you prefer the shuttle to the express train into Milan Central? I ask because my "instinct" is to take the express.

It seems you two really love trains...they certainly can be fun - and thanks for your help.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I stand corrected - I just went on to the Trenitalia website and the fares are clearly published - I was obviously on a different website...my mistake.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.milanomalpensa2.eu/en/acc...arriving-train
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 06:50 AM

No the train operates on an hourly bases, so a seating reservation is not required.