Do I need reservations for B&B's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to through the south of England in August. To adults and two teens. Hoping that we can just plan a day a head, but have heard that maybe we should making reservations now. Really looking for flexibility, but don't want to sleep in the car.

Thoughts, advise?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We haven't been to the UK in August but had no trouble just turning up at B&Bs in June and getting a room. We found that they are often grouped together in towns and villages, so if you find one, you'll find a few in a row. The tourist offices are very helpful too, and booked some places for us, for that night. There was a small charge for this. I'd suggest starting to look for a room as early as practical during the day, don't leave it too late or the best places will be gone.
Kay
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:45 PM

June is a lot different than August. It really depends on WHERE you are going. In the most popular tourist areas (Cornwall, the Cotswolds, Bath, etc.) there are tons of B&Bs - but also TONS of visitors. While you should be able to find rooms, it may take a while and you may have to travel a bit to find one.

BUT - IF you are talking about weekends you should book as far ahead as possible. Since you will need two rooms or a large family room, your choices will be more limited.

If you are going more off the beaten path, and mostly mid-week, rooms will be a little easier to find.

I would definitely use the local Tourist Information Centers to find you places 2 or 3 days ahead. Go into the TIC and tell them where you are traveling to, your price range and room requirements and they will call ahead and book a place for you.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Maybe I should explain the June vs. August bit . . .

June is not high season. British schools are still in session until early/mid July. Therefore most parts of the UK are not at all crowded in June.

But in August just about EVERYONE from the UK and continental Europe is on holiday. So things are pretty much twice as busy. Plus there is a Bank Holiday at the end of August. Like Labor Day in the US -- it sort of signals the "end" of the summer season. So everyone tries to get away in August before school reopens.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:29 PM

four2travel-

We tried to do what you are THINKING of doing -but it was during SEPT...No tourists ( ha! ) and no kids ( true)...but we ended up spending 1/2 of each day trying to find a place and it got very unnerving...I did this for the first week of a 2 week drive thru England...But the 2nd week I did call ahead rooms from a guide book...Made me feel more secure and left a lot more time to have fun sightseeing and antiquing!!