Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

do i need dinner reservations in rome,florence,venica in jan?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
oldorch

a similar message was for paris but do you think italy is necessary? and if so thru websites or the hotel.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Susan

Not before you leave, unless you are looking to eat at a specific and special restaurant.

Even in July (Venice)and September (Rome), we didn't make reservations before the trip. We did however, ask our hotel to help with suggestions and reservations each day. My experience is that you are welcomed more warmly, and perhaps seated better, when the restaurant expects you. This is true even at times when we decided at the last minute, and the hotel called to find out if we could come over withing the next half hour.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
xxx

Have you ever run a restaurant? How well do you think they treat the customers at better restaurants who can't show the simple courtesy of calling an hour ahead?

Sometimes they treat you great, as well as they do any other night, when business is slow, or if they are simply very dedicated to doing their very best all the time. Other times you might not get a table. Or you might get a little drafty one right by the door into and out of the kitchen, and served they best they can.

Ask the same question for similar sized towns in your own locale, of restaurants similar to those you will choose. Bob Evans on a Tuesday night? Rarely a problem. The best place in town on a Saturday night after a home game. Prepare to be laughed at.

Italy is not Afghanistan, nor some other planet. They pretty much run restaurants there the same way they do in Peoria, Miami or Vancouver. Call in the afternoon. Maybe the day before.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:25 PM
alan

NO! Not at that time of year. You will be fine. Watch out for the clip joints.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:02 PM
abc

What is a clip joint?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:09 AM
ira

abc
A clip joint is a place where you pay a lot for very little, ie, you get clipped (slang for a haircut).

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:52 AM
oldorch

xxx
thanks for that. no i haven't run a restaurant(didn't think that was relevent to my question). my question was about 3 major cities in italy during the month of january. i should have been more specific and asked if i needed to make them before i left nyc. (if i wanted to know about peoria,miami or vancouver in january i would have asked.. and give yourself a pat on the back..italy is not afghanistan.. but unfortunalely nobody was asking if there were similar). a sincere thanks to susan and alan though. i will wait till i get there then to reserve.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:42 PM
susan

You're welcome. (ignore stupid insults, your question seemed clear to me)

In Rome, I took Elaine's suggestion on this Forum, and went to La Tartaruga, near Campo d'Fiori. Excellent choice, small friendly bistro, reservations called requested on that afternoon were fine. You can read the reviews in Rants and Raves. I had the wild nettle risotto, every bit as good as stated in above, panna cotta with wild berries for desert. Yum.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:28 AM
oldorch

thnks susan
are there certain dishes that are unique to each of these cities that i "must have"? i assume the food is fantastic throughout the country, my wife is a chef, and we love to try the local specialties wherever we go.