Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do I need a body guard for travel to Russia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-i-need-a-body-guard-for-travel-to-russia-426433/)

my_srodof_2004 Apr 28th, 2004 11:16 AM

Do I need a body guard for travel to Russia

I have staff going to Russia on business and have heard it is advisable to have a body guard while traveling within Russia (Moscow).

Do you advise that I travel with a body guard?

Ziana Apr 28th, 2004 11:19 AM

Depends what "staff" and who knows about it.
You know, the problem over there is that if something will happen to anybody/anything - you have nowhere to turn, because nobody cares.
So, it is your call.

Marc_David_Miller Apr 28th, 2004 12:21 PM

I've worked with people who do need body guards while conducting business in Russia, so to me it is a valid question.

First, is this just a matter of perception? Have you ever watched "The Sopranos"? Have you ever read "The Godfather"? Or seen countless crime dramas on television such as "Hill Street Blues" or "Miami Vice"? Then you know that although crime exists in the United States it generally does not touch every law-abiding American. The same is true in Russia; the media and entertainment industries paint a picture of how insane Russia is, but the reality is far different. The streets of Moscow and St. Petersburg are as safe as London, Paris or New York for the average tourist.

If your business partners suggest it, or if some of your negotiations involve sensitive issues with particular sectors known for problems, then yes, you should hire guards. I've seen Russian ministers, officials and oligarchs who have no problem being unaccompanied while overseas, but are surrounded with protection while in Russia.

For most commercial business travel, and almost all cultural/leisure travel, then it is not necessary.

Marc_David_Miller Apr 28th, 2004 12:30 PM

I would highly recommend, though, that they have a driver (as taxis can be problematic, especially when in business situations). It is far more convenient to have a car waiting for you than having to find one on short notice--most of my business clients do this (unless they know Moscow well enough, or are within short distance of one office).

Depending on the particular situation, you might want a translator to be available at all times. Russian businesspeople's knowledge of English is not always as good as we assume, and it is well worth the expense to have bi-lingual staff and/or a professional translator present during discussions (and also makes a positive impression on the Russians).

You might want to read Yale Richmond's "From Nyet to Da"; not an etiquette guide, but rather a text that, after reading, will give insight into Russian sensibilities and sensitivities. Especially like the Styrofoam piece!

Huitres Apr 28th, 2004 12:37 PM

I thought at first this was a joke! My aunt and uncle have lived in Moscow for over 7 years and have never, ever experienced the need for a body guard. Perhaps a local, knowledgable Russian guide would be more advisable and not as imposing. You don't want your staff group to stand out too much, otherwise they will arouse suspicion, not to mention being overcharged everywhere they go (museum entry fees, restaurants, etc). A Russian guide could be the "front man" to purchase things for the group to ensure that they would get the fair (Russian) price, versus the higher (American) price.