Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do I mention that I am on my honeymoon in Paris to maximize the possible benefits? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-i-mention-that-i-am-on-my-honeymoon-in-paris-to-maximize-the-possible-benefits-735605/)

naughtyb Sep 10th, 2007 07:08 PM

Do I mention that I am on my honeymoon in Paris to maximize the possible benefits?

I have been told that I should try and tell people that I am on my honeymoon when in Paris "because you will be given lots of free stuff" such as upgrades or maybe a glass of champagne. (I really will be on my honeymoon just so you know I am not just trying to be a scumbag) I was told definitely tell the clerk at the hotel when checking in. I am not sure if this really would matter at all but what do you think? Also, I do not even know how to say it. Could someone enlighten me please? Thanks

adeben Sep 10th, 2007 09:27 PM

Tell the airline you're flying on as well: they'll probably upgrade you to first class. The hotel might even provide the Bridal Suite! All this might occur because none of the folks involved have possibly ever heard previously of anyone having their honeymoon in Paris. The least that will happen is that they might offer congratulations: if you're happy with that as a potential outcome, by all means tell everyone you meet!

Jay_G Sep 11th, 2007 01:33 AM

I found that when I was on my honeymoon, I was constantly mentioning this fact, but only because I was so happy (and possibly a little incredulous) that I was actually married.

I genuinely couldn't have cared less if we hadn't been upgraded/given free drinks/bought drinks by complete strangers, but they just served to make what would have been the best holiday ever, even better.

Don't expect anything other than a smile or a 'congratulations' and you won't be 'disappointed' when no free perks are forthcoming.

'C'est notre lune de miel' would be how you would tell people in French, however it could seem a little mercenary if that's the only phrase you know...

Congratulations and have a great trip.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Sep 11th, 2007 02:47 AM

On my honeymoon in Mexico, the hotel tried to bump us from our oceanview room to a room overlooking the pool. The hotel was oversold but I stood my ground. After several hours of being asked to return to the hotel desk to check in...we finally got our oceanview room we paid for.

We certainly didn't get any special treatment. I don't think it hurts to mention at the time of reservation but I wouldn't expect anything as a result. That way if you do get something, it will be a welcome surprize.

Airlines rarely upgrade passengers (unless you have high frequent flyer status), so I would be shocked if that happened.

alanRow Sep 11th, 2007 03:05 AM

It's pretty common for people to claim they are honeymooners. These days I doubt that few places would give you anything at all. If you go because you are expecting lots of free stuff you are guaranteed to be disappointed

Dukey Sep 11th, 2007 03:16 AM

I am honestly delighted at your impending marriage news.

Being upgraded to first on an airline I am not delighted with as a stockholder even though there is the remote chance it would produce some "goodwill."

littlejane Sep 11th, 2007 04:24 AM

I would mention when booking (or before you go) rather than when you arrive. Many hotels do offer upgrades / bowls of fruit / champagne to honeymooners but they will need to know in advance.

Some places that offer upgrades as standards request you to bring your marriage cert with you as proof (to guard against the scumbags :-))

naughtyb Sep 11th, 2007 05:09 AM

Yeah Jay, I toltally agree with you. Believe me, I am not going to Paris only to get "free stuff" for my honeymoon. I know that hundreds of thousands of people go to Paris for their honeymoon or at least that are they are on it while there so I dont anticipate getting too much. I have just been told that a ton of times recently and was wondering about a possible response. Thanks for the replies.

basingstoke2 Sep 11th, 2007 07:49 AM

On the other hand, one never knows. Although our honeymoon was in Europe, we spent our wedding night at the Plaza Hotel in NYC. We did not say a thing on checking in about being newlyweds and made no special request, but they must have guessed. We were upgraded to a fantastic suite and presented with a bottle of Piper Heidsieck with a congratulatory note from the management.

J_Correa Sep 11th, 2007 10:20 AM

I don't know that I would mention the honeymoon when reserving the hotel room - unless it is important to get (and pay for) a honeymoon package with the champaign, fruit basket etc in the room.

In every advice article that I have read about getting good hotel rates, the advice is that if you mention the honeymoon when reserving the hotel room, many hotels will quote a higher rate than they normally would because they know that when people have weddings and romance on the brain, thoughts of budgets and frugality tend to go out the window.