Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do i have to be formally dressed in a 5 star hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Dean

When I am working I wear a suit everyday so on my holiday I like to be comfortable in Jeans and a sweat shirt. Will it be ok to dress this way in St Regis Rome, Ritz London and George v Paris?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:49 PM
sheesh

Think about it in a rational sense

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Dress

Yes, you must be formally dressed at all times in the 5 star hotels you mentioned or they will not serve you or talk to you.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Get A Clue

No it would not be proper to dress in jeans and a sweat shirt and go to a 5 star restaurant. Dress pants, dress shirt, jacket - tie is probably optional being that your paying.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Sandy

We just returned from Europe... stayed at both the Intercontinental Paris and the Intercontinental London, on their club level, and during the day, we wore jeans to tour in. At night, we dressed more upscale. We saw lots of people staying in those hotels, dressed like we were. Most of those that weren't, we could tell were on business.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Coleen

It depends what you are doing. To eat, of course you should dress up. But as a guest, you can dress more casually if you want to. It's your priviledge as a guest to dress how you feel comfortable.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Margot

Dear Dean:<BR><BR>I find nothing wrong with your question. Such rudeness! <BR><BR>My husband and I stayed at the St. Regis Rome last year and wore whatever we felt comfortable in. I didn't bring jeans, but on a couple of "touring" days I wore khaki pants, a sweater, and tennis shoes. I never felt that anyone was frowning upon my attire. The staff at the hotel were polite and helpful, as they should have been! <BR><BR>We didn't eat in any of the hotel restaurants, but I did peep into a couple of them and noticed that all of the men were wearing coats and ties.<BR><BR>Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:04 AM
Chris

Jeans are ok during the day if you go shopping or sighseeing but in Europe no one wears sweat shirts unless they go to workout or jogging. Try to use jeans with some nice blouse or sweater but avoid the sweat shirts.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:06 AM
Chris

One more thing: dress more properly at the end of the day.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:07 AM
xxx

I wonder if everyone above has the same definition of a "sweat shirt".<BR>If it is something that looks just like a sweater, except that is has wooly lining, and it is a plain color (no loud logos or colors), and you wear it over a shirt, with the shirt collar sticking out, and your jeans are the neat type, and you wear regular dark casual shoes, you may look just like a CEO of a multibillion dollar French company on holiday. Nothing wrong with that.<BR>For the restaurant, yes, wear a coat & tie. Not necessarily a suit.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:17 AM
Andy

There are a few 5* properties in London that require jacket and tie in lounges and bars after 5 pm. They include Savoy Group - The Savoy, Connaught, Claridges and Berkeley. No problems during the day, except in restaurants. Other hotels in that category can be loosely termed 'smart casual' rule or style.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:59 AM
mandy

Well, this concerns a 4 star, not a 5 star hotel, so don't know if it counts.<BR><BR>Before confirming our booking, I emailed this hotel and warned that we would have only fairly simple clothes to wear to dinner, was this okay? They assured us not to worry about clothes, with the exception that shorts in the dining room were the only unacceptable item. <BR><BR>If in doubt, email the hotel - I'm sure they'll be glad to help.<BR>Otherwise, if the hotel answers your query as rudely as some people here have done, consider that '5 stars' applies to attitude and courtesy, as well as to dress, and take your business elsewhere.<BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:02 AM
fashionista

There are jeans and there are jeans, meaning during the day you can look chic with well fitting jeans, attractive top and good shoes. At night dress as you would in New york's best hotels.