Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do hotel rates in Provence go down in the Fall? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-hotel-rates-in-provence-go-down-in-the-fall-547113/)

loisco Jul 26th, 2005 07:23 PM

Do hotel rates in Provence go down in the Fall?

We would like to stay at a particular hotel in Bonnieux because we were given a wonderful gift of a grand dinner at their 2* Michelin restaurant.(Bastide de Capelongue)

The room rates are very high (for us) and I wondered whether they will go down. We would be there around October 3,4, and/or 5th...or do the room rates posted stay the same? We don't leave till September 1 so I have time to wait it out..need some feedback.

Thanks as ususal.

Underhill Jul 26th, 2005 08:06 PM

Did you look at the hotel's web site? There's no indication of a lower rate for October--most of the "better" hotels in Provence have the same rate all year round. For those that do, October is usually in the mid-season category and the rates don't drop all that much.

ira Jul 27th, 2005 05:02 AM

Hi lois,

I would write the hotel directly, telling them of your desire to have diner and stay at the hotel and ask what is the very best rate they can offer.

I see that they have a special util mid Sept. Maybe they can give you a similar rate.

((I))

hopingtotravel Jul 27th, 2005 09:12 AM

When I booked our recent trip, I remember timing it so I would arrive at Bastide Moustiers and Chateau des Alpilles before May because their rates went up then. Subsequently, I assume there is a date in the fall when the rates drop. So other hotels may follow suit.

Underhill Jul 27th, 2005 09:20 AM

Excellent idea, Ira.

Christina Jul 27th, 2005 09:30 AM

All of the hotels I've dealt with in Provence, or booked/researched, clearly stated their season policies on their web site regarding dates. I have never seen one calling earkt October low season in Provence, but I have seen some having low season beginning in November. Obviously, you should just ask the hotel what their rate policy is.

loisco Jul 27th, 2005 11:13 AM

Ira..good idea...but can I write in English?????...if not, I will have to have someone help me with translation. Too often I have written in English to French websites and gotten no response...

Thanks..Lois

Judy Jul 27th, 2005 11:39 AM

loisco, I wrote to that hotel last week to inquire if they were still serving lunch in mid-October. I wrote and they responded in English.

loisco Jul 27th, 2005 11:40 AM

Judy...thanks. Lois

sandi Jul 27th, 2005 11:57 AM

We found that some hotel rates go down as mid-October or beginning November. Then there are a number of small hotels that actually close for a brief period from November 1 to mid-December.

For beginning of October, as suggested above, I'd write direct to the hotel - English is fine - and advise what you're looking for and what rate would be available.

Underhill Jul 27th, 2005 04:23 PM

Writing directly to the hotel usually works best. Too often messages sent via web sites don't get to the right person for a response.

loisco Jul 27th, 2005 06:14 PM

So Underhill you mean write a letter by snail mail...not an email??????

Thanks..Lois

Mrs_Slocum Jul 27th, 2005 06:22 PM

We once showed up at a hotel thinking we had a reservation. The letter was in French. They said it read they were full.
We felt so stupid but they were nice and directed us to a nearby bread and breakfast and they fit us in at dinner.

loisco Jul 27th, 2005 07:13 PM

Mrs..that gave me a smile!

Underhill Jul 27th, 2005 07:23 PM

Either by snail mail or by e-mail directly to the hotel, not to the web site.