Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do gas stations in Ireland accept credit cards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 1999, 09:14 AM
Jennifer

Hi! <BR>Does anyone know if the typical gas station in Ireland accepts credit cards? I'm guessing that they would, but wanted to know for sure from someone who's been there. <BR>Thanks! <BR>Jennifer

Old May 6th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Harriett

Hi -- <BR>We were in Ireland in '94, drove 1200 miles in 10 days (not counting taking the train or the time we spent with a friend driving us); my point is we covered a lot of the country. As I recall, most of the stations we used did take credit cards, but I also remember paying cash occasionally. When we were in England last year, I paid for all our gas with credit cards. I would expect that many more stations in Ireland now accept them than did in ' 94, and we had no difficulty (beyond the cost!) then. Hope this helps.

Old May 6th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Harriett

Hi -- <BR>We were in Ireland in '94, drove 1200 miles in 10 days (not counting taking the train or the time we spent with a friend driving us); my point is we covered a lot of the country. As I recall, most of the stations we used did take credit cards, but I also remember paying cash occasionally. When we were in England last year, I paid for all our gas with credit cards. I would expect that many more stations in Ireland now accept them than did in ' 94, and we had no difficulty (beyond the cost!) then. Hope this helps.

Old May 6th, 1999, 10:45 AM
Tony Hughes

Some of the more rural, smaller, petrol stations may take a long, hard look at your card, maybe even bite it to check authenticity, and then the guy will lift his cap, scratch his day-old stubble and say something like 'To be sure, we don't take AMEX, in fact we dont take any cards' <BR> <BR>Now obviously I'm paraphrasing a little BUT it's similar to the smaller two pump places we have up north where you have to ring a bell for service (no self service allowed) and an old woman will shuffle out from a house opposite the garage and take your cash. <BR> <BR>But, yes, most places now take cards.

Old May 7th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Jennifer

Thanks to you both. <BR>Tony - your anecdote was quite humorous! Are you from Northern Ireland? <BR>

Old May 8th, 1999, 02:11 AM
Tony Hughes

Jennifer, I am a Scotsman, 100%. <BR> <BR>When I said 'up north' I was referring to the Highlands of Scotland.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:22 PM
ireland

all service stations in ireland take credit cards..including visa , mastercard , american express etc.. <BR>i'm from ireland...and i've never seen a service station in ireland yet that didn't accept these cards...well maybe there are a few in kerry!! haha!! <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 05:53 PM
David

Jennifer, <BR>They certainly do. I didn't even have problems in the Scottish highlands and Outer Hebrides for what its worth!!