Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do French men wear shorts on hot summer days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:16 PM
Rich

We will be in France in July, and while I would prefer to wear shorts, I don't want to stick out as a tourist from a mile away.Also is there a difference between Paris and the countryside as far as shorts vs. long pants? <BR>When we were in Italy, everyone wore long pants, but in Spain, shorts were more prevalent. Any insights would be helpful.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:32 PM
Thyra

Just a note of warning, you may be flamed for asking a fashion question. But here is the scoop as I recall it. <BR>First of all a majority of French men don't wear shorts in Paris. Many tourist do however so if you wear them while you may stick out as a tourist you will certainly not be the only one. BTW, there is nothing wrong with looking like a tourist!!! <BR>But the majority of French men will wear long pants, jeans and more what I would describe as Urban Upscale clothing. <BR>In the south of France or beach communities this is not the case, however, for dinner dining that is not al fresco or very casual you will not be allowed in wearing shorts. Generally speaking they are more formal.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:47 PM
Joel

Ditto on Thyra's comments. We lived there for a couple of years. Shorts in Paris would be your tourist insignia, but there are so many other ways of recognizing an American from a distance I'm can't really see that it matters. Certainly, the French would not come here and try to look like Americans! Especially the French wouldn't!! <BR>More important than fashion is politeness. Contrary to a lot of people who post here who do not understand the French culture and therefore incorrectly believe that the French are very impolite, there are a number of things you can do to not be conspicuously impolite. First and foremost is to not speak loudly. We were astonished to discover that when hiking in the alps we could hear the Americans coming, but never anyone else. It grated on our nerves so it must've really annoyed the Europeans. If you do a search on etiquette, or manners, etc. you'll find some good posts on the do's and don'ts. <BR>Have a nice vacation.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:43 PM
StCirq

Out in the boonies in the Dordogne, I have a French electrician who wears short shorts, but everyone talks about him and his choice of clothes (they're pretty outrageous). Other than him, I've never seen a French person wearing shorts in the Dordogne, even when it's blistering hot. In Paris, definitely not. That doesn't mean you can't, but if you wish to be assumed French on first appraisal, shorts won't do. Unless you're a brazen French electrician in the Dordogne.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:03 AM
Stephanie

Would repeat most of the above. However, I have noted that French men do wear shorts on the weekends, especially around the parks & gardens. Everyone needs weekend clothes. But ditto that, only tourists usually wear shorts.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:36 AM
Tina

What about French women? Do they ever wear shorts? What about in really hot weather? I don't think I've ever seen that, but then, I've never lived there.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:55 AM
Lisa

What about teenagers? <BR>Although my boys won't care if they look like tourists. <BR>I know there is no ways they will be wearing long pants. They even wear shorts to school in our eastern seaboard winters!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:04 AM
Paige

I was in Arles last weekend and toured the area for 4 days and saw lots of people, both sexes and all ages, in shorts. They were obviously not all Americans. When it's hot, people dress accordingly. If you're in a city and people are working they won't be wearing shorts but that doesn't mean you can't! By the way, if you're a tourist you'll likely be going to tourist sites where it will be obvious that you're a tourist, no matter what you wear, and the other tourists couldn't care less what you're wearing. My opinion of Paris is that there are SOOOO many tourists there and people wear anything and everything, so it really doesn't matter what you wear (unless you're going to a nice restaurant or something). Just my opinions!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:14 AM
cmt

We women have it easy, because skirts can be very cool to wear. I hate long pants in the heat, unless I'm doing yard work or walking in thorny or tick-infested areas. I wouldn't wear shorts in Europe except (1) in beach areas, or (2) ANYWHERE, if hiking and with a group, so that it's obvious that's what we're up to. But in that situation, I DO definitely wear shorts, even if we'll be stopping in towns and visiting churches during our wanderings. (The shorts are not nearly as weird looking as the hiking boots, socks, sweaty hair, etc.) I think it's not really appropriate to wear shorts in Paris (or NYC or any major city). However, I've seen people wearing shorts in the cities, and unless they ALSO behaved in an inappropriate way, to me they didn't look so out of place; it's just that I personally wouldn't do it.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:17 AM
McClan

What about Scotsmen? Always wondered... do they wear shorts? Under their kilts, I mean???

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:32 AM
mikey

when i went to france last summer, i was quite surprise to see very few people wearing shorts (esp. Paris) even all the old ladies (and i mean all) dress immaculately... obviously it's more casual around cote d'azur but even by american customs, long pants are preferred (minus beaches)..whereas i would put on a gap t-shirt and shorts & sandals w/o second thoughts in martha's vineyard/hamptons, i think the casual friday look is more suitable in france...however, short is 'doable' if tastfully done with nice collar shirts; don't worry about the tourist look..i'm sure they can spot any tourists a mile away, what's really important is don't dress and act like a slob and as joel suggests respecting customs and exercising proper etiquette can make more pleasant encounters with the locals.. <BR> <BR>same goes for women, even in nice, cannes or st. tropez i haven't seen any skimpy clothes worn anywhere..

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:06 AM
Englishgirl

Why do Americans have this pathological compulsion to wear shorts? They are evil, and most of you people don't have the physique for them anyway!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:20 AM
Tina

I agree that they're evil! So many people wear them who shouldn't. I understand that they're far more comfortable when it's blistering hot, but there's nothing worse than seeing someone in shorts who truly shouldn't be. We have to admit that Americans abuse this most of all. (I'm American.)

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:25 AM
pam

McClan, <BR>Check this out and you'll have your answer. <BR> <BR>Rich, sorry I can't answer your question, but my first reaction was, 'some of them, probably, underneath their trousers.' Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:43 AM
dan woodlief

Try living in the Southern U.S. in July and August, and you will see. That is one of the benefits of our culture at times.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:38 PM
Bob

My neighbors on the Cote d'Azu rcertainly do.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:23 PM
Jim Tardio

I've just returned this week from Paris. Of course it's May, not July, but I did see a few people in shorts. I wore them from the airport to my hotel because it was a long flight from Los Angeles and I wanted to be comfortable. <BR> <BR>Contrary to what you post, when I was in Italy in September, everyone seemed to be in shorts. <BR> <BR>My feeling is that the French and British and other folks in Europe know one way or another that you're a tourist. Where what you like. They need to get over this "dress code" thing. I'm sure they're not judged by their clothing when they visit the United States.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:39 PM
dan woodlief

You know Jim, your post reminded me of something I have wondered about with many questions regarding dress. Ok, obviously there are times when it is very important - entering an Italian church or dining in a nice restaurant - but do the locals really care very much or is this some kind of "pressure" we are almost needlessly putting on ourselves?

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:48 PM
kathy

I don't know if French women wear shorts in France. However when we were in Egypt, the French women wore outrageously skimpy shorts and tops for a Moslem country - and this at Luxor one of the most conservative areas. It was almost as if they were purposefully flaunting custom.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:18 PM
jamEE

***SIGH*** Even if you looked EXACTLY like a French person, as soon as you opened your mouth, regardless of how good your French may be, there would be the American (at best English) accent spewing forward. <BR> <BR>Who cares if you wear shorts or not? I personally LOVE to fit it with other cultures, but when my comfort is compromised (jeans or pants during the scorching summer weather)I just have to say, BRING ON THE SHORTS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -