Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do Europeans Get Flu Shots? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-europeans-get-flu-shots-908239/)

PalenQ Oct 5th, 2011 08:32 AM

Do Europeans Get Flu Shots?

First of all let me say why I am posting this on the Europe Forum - because I want to know how Europeans feel about flu shots and if they routinely are advised to get them like we are - I think most Fodorpeans only read the Europe Forum and not the Lounge where I would normally have posted this!

So Europeans - do you routinely get the flu vaccination and do your health authorities routinely advise them?

I say this because some French friends said they never got flu shots not were they recommended - now these French folks kind of live in caves so I am not sure they are in the know - but since the French, arguably, have the world's finest health care system and one of the longest life spans I particular wish to know about France.

This comes up in a thread I started in the Lounge asking about the efficdacy of flu shots and if they were effective - studies I have seen present conflicting info but if they are thought to be effective I think Europeans would get them just as much as we do?

Thanks for any responses!

tipsygus Oct 5th, 2011 08:39 AM

For Brits over 65 they are notified that they are available, the onus is then on the individual as to whether they have them or not. Some groups of people are strongly advised to have flu shots. I'm not too sure but I think if you have a respiratory condition then the recommendation is 'strongly advise'. Personally having only had flu once or at least I think it was flu and having heard horror stories of the side effects some have had I will not be having a flu shot this year or any other year.

tipsygus Oct 5th, 2011 08:39 AM

I should have added I'm not sure how effective they are.

irishface Oct 5th, 2011 08:47 AM

I don't know about others, but for me they are worse than useless. The only two times I had one was under duress because I was teaching in a boarding school and they said houseparent/teachers could not be sick if an outbreak hit the school. Both times I had a week of aches, pains, nausea, and a terrible headache.

In my forty pus years of public school teaching, I skipped the flushot and one winter had a three day bout of something that may or may not have been flu. It was not as bad as the reaction to the flu shot.

kerouac Oct 5th, 2011 08:51 AM

In France, everybody over the age of 60 receives a certificate for a free flu shot. Some of them get them and others don't.

PalenQ Oct 5th, 2011 08:59 AM

kerouac - do I infer then that few people under 60 get the flu vaccine - this is unlike here where everyone seems to get them regards of whether healthy or young or old or whatever - as reported on the other thread in the Lounge.

do you get one for instance - I suppose you mum, in an assisted living facility I guess would have got one?

merci

PatrickLondon Oct 5th, 2011 09:26 AM

It's partly a question of what vaccination is for. It won't work for everybody, it may not be needed for every individual, but it is needed in a sufficient proportion of the population to stop the viruses from spreading too widely.

Different organisations will inevitably come to different judgments about who it's advised for. Our new(ish) Government has decided to cut back on the usual big annual advertising campaign, but the NHS advice is at:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Flu-jab...uldbedone.aspx

When I picked up a prescription today, the pharmacist asked me if I wanted the jab, but I pointed out I wasn't quite old enough to be in the at risk group. The key word here is "risk": maybe more of us are more willing to accept a risk, rather than leap at every pill, potion and preventive treatment going?

kerouac Oct 5th, 2011 09:39 AM

Yes, PalenQ, my mother gets one automatically (but would not if I opposed it). I have never had a flu shot myself. I don't know what percentage of the French get them, but as the largest consumers of medical products in the world, the French are probably well placed in the hit parade of flu shots.

Lifeman Oct 5th, 2011 09:41 AM

We are offered them routinely from our Doctor and indeed had a letter earlier this week inviting us to make an appointment to get them. In the Lancashire area, the trend is for GP's to offer them to over 65's and for those with "at risk" conditions, like Diabetes or heart problems.

chartley Oct 5th, 2011 10:06 AM

Just expanding on what Tipsygus wrote, flu shots are also available in England for anyone with a chronic condition who would benefit. They are free of charge whether you qualify on those grounds or are because you are over 65. I don't know the precise grounds in Wales or Scotland.

Our local doctors' practice has special sessions in the church hall next door to the surgery. You have to make an appointment, and the practice doctors, nurses and receptionists are all there taking part. It's quite a community occasion and very informal. You are asked to wait 10 minutes after the jab in case of a reaction, so there is a chance to talk to the other people there, some of whom you may know.

hetismij2 Oct 5th, 2011 10:08 AM

In The Netherlands those over 60 can have them free, as can people with certain chronic illnesses such as Diabetes, and those in health care or child care.
Others have to pay for them, unless there is a general health alert for a pandemic.

My husband qualifies for free flu jabs but hasn't bothered so far. My DIL qualifies twice over (diabetes type 1 and works in child care) and she always gets hers.

We last had flu - real flu not a bad cold - about 6 years ago. We stayed in bed, with which ever felt the best at the time staggering out to see to the dogs, and take them for a quick walk.

MyriamC Oct 5th, 2011 11:17 AM

In Belgium people over 60 can have a free shot if they want. Also the vulnerable group (chronic diseases, people working in health care/child care, ...).

My husband gets a free shot at work. His employer would like every employee to take a free shot, no matter what age they are. No idea of the percentage of employees that gets a shot.

I've never had a flue shot myself. I don't qualify (I'm under 60) but even if I did I wouldn't take one. I'm rarely ill. Hope to keep it that way!

Carlux Oct 5th, 2011 11:32 AM

Not only do I get a free flu shot as someone over 60 and with respiratory problems, but the nurse comes to the house to administer it. We get a certificate which we take to the pharmacy. Pick up the vaccine, go home, call the nurse, voila it's done.

Before this I got flu shots at the suggestion of my doctor, but had to pay up front before being reimbursed. Now there is no up front charge.

And mostly I think they have been useful