Reload this Page >

First trip to Europe

Search

First trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Jennifer Wagner

First trip to Europe

I am planning my first trip to Europe and would like some advice. I plan to spend 3 weeks in June or July. I am interested in seeing the following cities: Paris, London, Amsterdam, Vienna, Berlin, Barcelona. I am 25 years old,plan to travel alone, and am on a budget. What's the best way to travel around Europe- Eurorail or by bus? I'm interested in the major attractions, bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
jahoulih

That's a lot of places in that amount of time, but I think it can be done if you use night trains. I'd suggest the following itinerary (rearrange the numbers of days to suit your preferences):<BR><BR>Fly to London<BR>London (4 days)<BR>Early Eurostar to Brussels, spend day in Brussels, then late train to Amsterdam<BR>Amsterdam (3 days), night train to Berlin<BR>Berlin (3 days), night train to Vienna<BR>Vienna (3 days), night train to Paris<BR>Paris (4 days), night train to Barcelona<BR>Fly out of Barcelona<BR><BR>You'd want a 15-day Eurail Youth Pass, which costs $401. The Eurostar would be another $75 or so, and each night train would be another $15 for a couchette.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
clairobscur

I would advise you to check the boards on www.eurotrip.com , which caters specifically for young people (mostly americans)visiting Europe. You should find plenty of thread about the rail vs bus issue, the clubs, hostels, etc...Fodors board is great, but doesn't have the same public.<BR><BR>Roughly, the rail is more convenient (more trains each day, and to much more places), more confortable and much quicker. On the other hand buses (eurolines for instance) are cheaper and a company like busabout which caters for young people seems to be often considered as a great fun by some (and a drunken-morons transportation system by others).

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:31 PM
Carin

If you're a student, check out the Council Travel website - specifically for students and teachers.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:00 AM
worried

But is it safe for a young woman traveling alone to do all those night trains?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
MaryC

Yes, it is safe. Like everything else, you just have to be careful.<BR><BR>One of my best friends travelled for 6 months backpacking in Europe/Turkey/Japan using night trains & youth hostels and she had few problems. She was in her early-mid 20s. And this was maybe 5-10 years ago. <BR><BR>Before she went to Turkey she hooked up with other fellow travellers at a Youth Hostel. Her only problem was when she, another lady and 2 gentlemen went to their hotel (men & women had separate rooms) in Turkey and the "proprietor" locked the 2 ladies in their room for the night. I don't think he realized the ladies were travelling with the men. Anyway, the 2 women banged on the doors and walls screaming to be let out and their male travelling partners heard them. The "proprietor" let them out with profuse apologies.<BR><BR>I would suggest, with apologies to Fodors, you read Rick Steves' ETBD for valuable info on women travelling alone.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Wayne

Jennifer--<BR>If you are going as far east as Vienna, my recommendation is that you see all of the other cities on the way except Barcelona, then get a flight back to Barcelona. Even by train, it's a long ride.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Jennifer Wagner

Thank you for all the great advice!