Reload this Page >

DISTANCE Vatican to Spanish Steps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:46 AM
marge

Is this about a 40 minute walk or would a bus be easier on the feet?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Capo

It depends on how fast you walk, but 40 minutes -- or maybe a bit less -- sounds about right. <BR> <BR>A bus, of course, would be easier on the feet. <BR> <BR>You could also take the Metro from the Ottaviano stop (about 6-7 blocks north of St. Peter's Square) to the Spanish Steps. <BR> <BR>F.Y.I. Here's a map of Rome: <BR> <BR>http://www.romanholidays.com/rome-map.htm

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Ed

20-30 minutes is probably correct, providing you don't dawdle along the way ... which is hard to avoid in Rome! I'd guess the distance is about 3 km. plus/minus routing variances. <BR> <BR>If the temperature is mild it's a nice walk, and you can route yourself one way or another through some interesting areas (e.g. Pantheon, Navona, Augustus' Tomb, etc.) On most summer days, though, I might prefer the Metropolitana or a taxi.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:33 PM
marge

Because Capo mentioned the Metro stop, I started checking google.com for Rome Metro and found enjoyrome.com the Rome tourist office site. It's up and running now. <BR> <BR>Ed... maybe that would be a good link for your site. <BR> <BR>Thanks both for the info. It's so hard to get a handle on how far things. We'll be there April 15-20, 2002. Should the weather be in the 60s? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Capo

Marge, we were there during the first week of April this year and the weather, for the most part, was very pleasant: in the 60's (I think) and sunny during the day, and then cooling off quite a bit at night. In our seven days in Rome, we had two days of cool & rainy weather. I don't think I'd ever want to visit Rome during the hot summer months. <BR> <BR>I don't know if they'll still be in bloom during the time in April you'll be there, but there are trees lining the Via Cola di Rienzo -- which connects the Piazza del Liberta (across the Tiber from the Piazza del Popolo) with the Piazza del Risorgimento near the Vatican -- which have beautiful light purple blossoms.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Ed

Marge thanks. Interestingly this is the second posting on this first 50 that calls Enjoy Rome "the" Rome tourist office. <BR> <BR>In reality it is not an official site at all. It is a tour agency. Check the wording. <BR> <BR>The site has been around for a while, but really wasn't worthwhile. They've "recreated" themselves. We'll have to see how well this version holds up. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:39 PM
marge

Ed, Sorry, really thought it was. I posted it by it's self thinking no one would find in this post. Just trying to help out. It also had the distance that I was asking about.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Ed

Marge, no problem. Just wanted people to know that it's not really an official site. It's no wonder you got taken by it ... their wording is very sly ... which of course is a reason to worry, plus their past history. <BR> <BR>In the short term the small amount of info I've had time to skim looks okay for now. The real question is whether they bother to keep it up. <BR> <BR>