Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Distance from Naples to Italian Riviera . Please help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/distance-from-naples-to-italian-riviera-please-help-164234/)

adeleh Feb 22nd, 2002 11:55 AM

Distance from Naples to Italian Riviera . Please help.

We will be in Italy in August. Could someone please tell us how long would it take to drive from Naples to SML in Italian Riviera. Thanks

Toi Feb 22nd, 2002 02:16 PM

You're traveling a good distance from south to north --- guestimate that it'll be about 4 1/2 hours?

Linda Feb 22nd, 2002 02:39 PM

And, since it is Italy in August, you may want to add up to an additional hour for heavy traffic.

Silvia Feb 22nd, 2002 03:07 PM

Not sure of where SML is, but if you mean Santa Margherita Ligure in Liguria, I would think that 6 hours drive is the minimum that it would take.<BR><BR>It's a long trip, in fairly high traffic area. Avoid travelling August 1st.<BR><BR>Silvia

adeleh Feb 22nd, 2002 05:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Is there anyone who has done this before and can give me exact time.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Feb 22nd, 2002 06:11 PM

ADELPH, I think that 6 hours is minimum. I would plan 7 with stops.

xxx Feb 22nd, 2002 06:15 PM

Exact time, adeleh, in August? Under normal traffic one may drive it in 5 to 6 hours depending on driver. 6 hours would be a "relaxed" drive. In August (before the 10th and after the 20th), specially considering that a piece of it is along the coast, one should add at least 1/2 hour. Between the 12th and the 16th I wouldn't dare to estimate the time ... there may well be some bad stalls and travel time can rocket to the skies. Ever heard of Ferragosto?

adeleh Feb 23rd, 2002 04:12 AM

I think after the last post I am changing my mind. Now I need help with train travel and I have never been on a train in Italy,are they as good as Swiss and Germany trains? Could you please help me with this part of my trip. Is there a fast train between Naples and maybe LaSpezia or any other place in Italian Riviera. At this point I am not certain where we are staying,I need to do more research. We definitely are going to rent a car In Italian Riviera. OR can we do this? Arrive at Rome at 12:00 noon from US, take the train to go to Naples and then the hydrofoil to Capri. Is that doable after your flight from US with two teenagers? This way we can stay in Rome on our way north and that breaks up the travling time. PLEASE HELP.

Rex Feb 23rd, 2002 05:12 AM

From www.viamichelin.com - - <BR><BR>417 mi in 6h03 (including 411 mi by motorway in 5h47) <BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

jahoulih Feb 23rd, 2002 06:43 AM

There are direct trains every day from Naples to La Spezia--one leaves 7:52 and arrives 14:22, and one leaves 12:00 and arrives 18:19. I'd say Italian trains are just about as good as most German trains, and not quite as good as Swiss trains, for comfort and punctuality.<BR><BR>Your alternate plan is also possible, but taking the train from Naples to La Spezia is really no problem.