Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   distance from Gatwick to London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/distance-from-gatwick-to-london-458364/)

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 07:37 PM

distance from Gatwick to London?

I may have just found a great fare to Gatwick, but have no idea how close it is to London city center (anyone know)?

Please help, also, do you know if there is a shuttle from Gatwick to Stansted? If there isn't a shuttle, can one take the tube?

Thanks!
Patricia

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 08:08 PM

anyone know of a shuttle from Gatwick to Stansted...or if one can get there w/o too many changes of station?

P

WillTravel Jul 8th, 2004 08:16 PM

The cheapest ways into central London from Gatwick are:

NationalExpress.com (bus) - maybe 6 or 8 pounds, and way more time-consuming
SouthCentral trains - about 8 or 9 pounds http://www.southernrailway.com/
Gatwick Express (to Victoria Station) - this is the easiest and about 11 or 12 pounds.

For transferring between Gatwick and Stansted:
NationalExpress.com

These are the standard transport methods.
There is no tube. Both airports are well outside London and the tube simply doesn't go that far.

taggie Jul 8th, 2004 08:35 PM

Please let's not have a thread like the last one where you were asking about getting from Heathrow to Stansted, that degenerated into an argument about whether or not you believed the advice you were given.

Just take the National Express.

You can't take the tube and taxi fare would be v. pricey. Trains are an option but you'd have to go into London on one and out of London on another. I don't think there's anything direct. The train would definitely cost more.

These airports are some distance outside the city. Gatwick is about 25 miles south. Stansted is roughly 50 miles to the north/east.

erinb Jul 8th, 2004 08:35 PM

hi patricia,

Just did some research and you can do the following:

Take gatwick express to victoria station.

At Victoria station take the Victoria line toward "Walthamstow Central to Tottenham Hale".

At Tottenham Hale, take "London Eastern towards Stansted Airport" to get to Stansted Airport.

I used www.thetube.com 's journey planner and put in gatwick airport to stansted airport for tomorrow. it came back with the above route.

It said that it would take about 35 minutes from gatwick to victoria with a 10 minute walk in the station to transfer, then 21 minutes to tottenham hale, with a 5 minute walk in that station to transfer, then 34 minutes to stansted airport.

hope this helps!

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 08:40 PM

Yes, yes...please forgive the last thread. I apologize to everyone. I never doubted you! Fodors is great. Thanks everyone. I did get my tickets from Atl-Gatwick! Thanks again for the info. I am going to take a breather and read all the above info (slowly) this time.

Thanks again!
Patricia

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 08:46 PM

By the way, Priceline appears to have a few tickets for really cheap right now. You have to do the "bid on fare" deal where you give them your credit card, and they come back with offers in your general range. This seems to work as long as you are flexible, it was generating some in the $500's range. I saw one for $584 and one for $524. I purchased mine at $522 (including tax). Just wanted to share!

Thanks everyone again!
Patricia

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 08:54 PM

Forgot to add if anyone does this, make sure to underbid first (I'm sure you are more skilled at this than me)...but I was bidding in the $415-$420 range (what I thought was outrageous)...and then they come back and say "If you're willing to fly from...and raise your price (slightly) we can offer you this ticket..."

Thanks you all are great!
Patricia

taggie Jul 8th, 2004 09:02 PM

Ah, but Erin, most of this trip you detailed is on the trains, not the tube. So Patricia, make sure you research this thoroughly!!
I don't think you can get the train fares from the tube's journey planner; you'd have to go to the railways' sites.
It's possible to do the trip using a couple of different combinations of rail/tube, but they'd involve various transfers. National Express would take roughly 3 hours, perhaps a bit less, and cost £24 or so. It's possible the train is cheaper (it'd probably be faster if you got good connections) but a lot more hassle. But maybe you're up for it.

Glad you got a good fare Patricia. Have a good trip.

BTW I have my degrees in music too although I gave up teaching high school a few years ago for a different career.

WillTravel Jul 8th, 2004 09:11 PM

The route erinb detailed would probably be more expensive than the National Express bus - I would estimate 12 pounds for Gatwick Express + 2 pounds for tube + 14 pounds for Stansted Express.

I don't know which is faster, but it's easy to find out.

PatriciaV2 Jul 8th, 2004 09:30 PM

Thanks to all! Taggie, by the way, can I ask what you are doing careerwise now? I am wondering how hard it will be to teach music(esp in Europe) if that's where I end up.

Thanks!
Patricia

flanneruk Jul 8th, 2004 09:40 PM

The cheapest way is to get the South Central (not the Gatwick Express) train to Victoria then the Terravision coach from a couple of hundred yards from Victoria station.

It's also probably quicker than the Gatwick-Stansted bus, since there isn't really a Gatwick-Stansted bus: most if not all go via Heathrow. Terravision have a map of how to get to their Victoria stop from the station on their site. It should certainly wake you up after an overnight flight. However I simply don't believe that Terravision can deliver at peak periods on their claimed journey time of 75 mins, so plan on the Terravision bus taking 2 hours.

When are peak periods in London? As a rule of thumb: if you're travelling then, so is everyone else.

taggie Jul 9th, 2004 09:00 AM

Patricia, I now work in TV. I don't know what the possibilities of teaching music in Europe would be. (I don't live there). I'd assume a big challenge would be presented by immigration issues.

PatriciaV2 Jul 9th, 2004 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know then how far Rome Ciampino is from Rome fiumicino and how to get there?

Thanks!
Your help much appreciated.
Patricia