Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Distance between Vatican Necropolis Tour and Vatican Museums Tour Entrance? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/distance-between-vatican-necropolis-tour-and-vatican-museums-tour-entrance-335660/)

JeremyLA Jul 10th, 2003 10:12 AM

Distance between Vatican Necropolis Tour and Vatican Museums Tour Entrance?

We are booked on the Vatican Necropolis Tour which starts at 9:30am and ends at 11am, and then the Vatican Museums Tour which starts at 11am. How far apart are they? Is this schedule possible? Also, how is the Vatican Museums Tour (I realize not as good as ScaleReale, but we may pay the extra 6 Euros and do it just so we don't have to wait in line).

Grinisa Jul 10th, 2003 10:18 AM

What company is doing these tours? Is the "Vatican Necropolis Tour" the Scavi Tour? From the Scavi office to the entrance to the Museums is at least a 15 minute walk. If your Vatican Museums Tour starts at 11, you probably won't make it especially if you have to stand in line and then meet your tour once inside the museum. The tours given by the Scavi office itself are apparently lasting only an hour, so if this is the tour you mean, you could be done by 10:30 and might make an 11am museum tour if the line to the museum moves quickly.

dln Jul 10th, 2003 10:18 AM

I cannot comment on the quality of the tours, or distance apart, but one thing that strikes me is this: when were you planning to do lunch? My stomach would be rumbling halfway through that second tour!!!! I'd sooner do tour #1, have a leisurely and lively lunch discussing highlights of said tour, and THEN, refreshed and raring to go, I'd embark on tour #2.

JeremyLA Jul 10th, 2003 10:21 AM

I agree about spacing out the tours, but they are the only English tours offered that day. The Necropolis tour is the Scavi Tour, so I may have 30 minutes to get between the two.

JeremyLA Jul 10th, 2003 10:23 AM

Do I have to wait in line at the Vatican Museums even if I am taking the Tour and have a reserved time???

Grinisa Jul 10th, 2003 10:27 AM

Who is giving this Vatican Museum Tour? The Vatican Museum docents? If so, then you still have to stand in line, buy your ticket for admission to the museum (there are no advanced ticket sales) and then meet your docent at the time of your reservation. If you are going with another tour company, you might be able to meet them outside the entrance at the appointed time and then proceed as a group into the museum to buy the tickets.

mlr Jul 10th, 2003 10:46 AM

We had a GREAT tour of the Vatican Museums through Select Italy. Tour started at noon. I booked throught their web site before leaving the states. I think the cost was 54 euro for two adults, one child. Small group, very knowledgeable guide. Held the interst of our 14 year old son for three hours! Also took their Ancient Rome tour which I would also highly recommend.

leesimmons Jul 10th, 2003 11:35 AM

The Vatican museum entrance is on Viale Vaticano, around the corner from the St. Peter's courtyard. The Necropolis Tour is at the basilica, on the left hand side as you're facing the church. It's a 15 minute walk, easily.

Both the museum and the Necropolis Tour are worth it. We didn't take a tour of the museum, preferring to stroll at our leisure. The Sistine Chapel is incredible. Nothing that I ever read prepared me for it, really.

All of Rome is like that. I found myself thinking 'I'm in the Sistine Chapel' or I'm in the coliseum' or I'm walking through the Forum', or...

JeremyLA Jul 10th, 2003 01:36 PM

Thanks for the helpful info.