Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Distance Between Train Station and Airport in Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/distance-between-train-station-and-airport-in-milan-504683/)

AnnieGoo Feb 17th, 2005 08:07 AM

Distance Between Train Station and Airport in Milan

Does anyone know the travel time and cost of traveling between the train station and airport in Milan? What is the cost of a taxi between those locations?

Many thanks!

beanweb24 Feb 17th, 2005 08:23 AM

Linate or Malpensa?

AnnieGoo Feb 17th, 2005 08:28 AM

Sorry, wasn't clear earlier. We arrive at Milan Central and then depart from Malpensa. Just did some research and found that the Malpensa Express train does not connect from Central station. Need to take another train or shuttle bus to connect with Malpensa express. Sounds complicated...

GAC Feb 17th, 2005 08:36 AM

From Milano Centrale Train Station, take the Malpensa Express BUS or the Malpensa Shuttle BUS direct to Malpensa Airport. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT go to Milano Cadorna station to take the Malpensa Express train; this is a waste of time.

Malpensa Airport is 46 kilometers from Milan. The BUS BUS BUS takes at least ONE FULL HOUR to reach the airport. Be careful to get off at the correct terminal: the smaller, older terminal is largely for charter flights. The brand new, large, terminal is for virtually all scheduled flights.

The Malpensa Express BUS costs 5.50 Euros; the Malpensa Shutle BUS costs 4.50 Euros. Departures every 20 minutes. You can buy tickets from the driver. You board the BUS from outside the Station, on its southern side which has a very large square filled with parked cars.

P.S. there seems to be a great deal of confusion between the Malpensa Express TRAIN and the Malpensa Express BUS. It was a big mistake not to use totally different names for these services. No matter how often I draw this distinction, the confusion still reigns supreme!

AnnieGoo Feb 17th, 2005 08:40 AM

GAC...Many Many thanks. You are a wealth of knowledge. Here is a question... our flight leaves Malpensa at 4:00 p.m. (to fly home to US). We will be staying in Rome and are debating whether to take the train the night before or the morning of the flight. Are we pushing it too close to travel via train the day of our flight home? There is a train that leaves Rome at 6:30 a.m. and arrives Milan Central at 10:30...

mcburja Feb 17th, 2005 08:47 AM

Funny story. I flew to Milan 15 years ago, to visit in Florence with my sister for a week (she was a student there). I took a good bus to the trainstation, and had a lovely trip to Firenze.

One week later, I have EXACTLY enough money to do this same trip in reverse. Quelle horreur! The price of the train was higher on Sundays! No matter, I could do without any lunch. Arriving in Milan, I stood with my suitcase and the two duffle bags my sister asked me to take back, waiting patiently at the bus stop. After half an hour, I was beginning to worry about catching my flight, so I dragged all the bags back into the station, and in my non-existent Italian, asked when the bus was due to arrive.

Well - guess what? No airport buses on Sunday, and of course, not enough money for a taxi.

In the end, I spoke with the manager of Canadian Airlines at the airport, and he very graciously loaned me the money to take a cab, and even held the flight from Rome to Toronto until I arrived.

My lesson was this. Don't travel without a credit card, and you're wise to ask the questions in your post. Have a great time.

AnnieGoo Feb 17th, 2005 08:51 AM

GAC-- Are you there??
Any ideas of taking the train from Rome the evening before vs day of flight. We have a limited amount of time in Rome and want to spend as much time there as possible.

Thanks again for the valuable advice!

GAC Feb 17th, 2005 09:19 AM

AnnieGoo: you certainly have enough time to get from Rome to Milan by Eurostar train for a 4:00 p.m. flight to the USA. You must allow a full 4 hrs. 30. mins for the ES train.

Assuming no rail strikes (announced in advance) and no delays due to bad weather (mudslides, etc.) or due to accidents or other unforeseen circumstances (rare), there should not be a problem.

One question I might raise is whether taking the train the same day as the flight makes the day too long and too tiring. This is a personal matter for which only you can be the judge. On the other hand, leaving Rome one day early might not be appealing either.

Have you considered spending the last night on Lake Maggiore (Stesa, etc.)? You can get to Malpensa Airport from Stresa by train (to Gallarate, then taxi) or by special airporter bus, in about one hour.

Another possibility is to take a late afternoon Eurostar to Milan and crash the night at the Milano Centrale train station (but then you have lots of time in the morning, are you interested in touring the city of Milan?)

GAC Feb 17th, 2005 09:20 AM

I meant to say "crash the night in a HOTEL near the Milano Centrale Train Station". I did not mean to suggest that you sleep overnight at the station itself!!!!!!

AnnieGoo Feb 17th, 2005 09:29 AM

GAC-

HAHA... the thought of sleeping in the train station with two teenage boys is not that appealing.. Indedd, it would make an interesting story but not what I had in mind. Seriously, I knew that you meant. Lots to think about. We will have a long and very tiring flight home. (Several stops and 24 hours before we get home) but this will be our only trip to Europe and we are trying to get in as much time in Rome (last part of trip) as possible. Thanks I appreciate the information and advice.

sce Mar 2nd, 2005 03:50 PM

Hi guys-I am going to tack on w/ a question-hope that is ok. We are going from Paris to Florence on 10/22/05-least expensive flight that would get us into Florence by 6pm would be EasyJet leaving Orly at 11:00 arriving at Milan Linate at 12:25 (the only flight that day). Would like to make the Eurostar train leaving Milano Centrale at either 14:00 or 15:00-my question is - how much time from Milano Linate to the Milano Centrale train station? Bus or train better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ever so much.

GAC Mar 3rd, 2005 07:05 AM

To be safe, I would allow 2 hours from touch down and train departure at Milano Centrale. There is no airporter train from Linate to Centrale. There is an airporter BUS which runs every 20-30 minutes and takes about 25-30 minutes to reach Centrale. It's very, very convenient and costs much less than a taxi. I would plan for the 15:00 ES train departure.

sce Mar 3rd, 2005 10:00 AM

GAC-thanks ever so much for your reply-does anyone know if you can pay extra for 1 additional suitcase in the hold on Easy Jet-will be taking the Paris to Milan flight?

eroz Mar 3rd, 2005 11:02 AM

theres an easy shuttle bus you can hop on that takes you between the Metra and Malpensa. Just pay when you board. Took us an hour with heavy morning traffic.

bobsie Mar 21st, 2005 07:35 AM

One more question about arrival at Malpensa. Arrive at 6PM and are thinking we should crash at airport hotel for the nite before going on to Varenna.

Question: After reading recent posts on this issue I wonder if we should taxi to the Cordorna Station and stay in the Antica Locando Leonardo hotel overnite and maybe even be walk to see the Last Supper before leaving for Varenna?

Does the Varenna train leave from Cadorna??

Thanks!