Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Distance between hotel and station in Avignon?

Apr 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Good morning, all.

How far is it from the Palais des Papes in Avignon (our hotel is very close to there) and to the Avignon Centre train station? Within walking distance, assuming we'll be hauling baggage? From the same point to the Avignon TGV?

We have a 0612 to Roissy from Avignon, and I have the choice of a regional train or of the direct TGV. Both get us to Paris at the same time, but the TGV ride,of course, is a couple of hours shorter. What may determine my choice is whether or not we have to engage a taxi (or two, seeing we're a party of six) from our hotel to the station, or whether we might simply walk there.

Apr 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi J,

Enter the addresses at www.mappy.com and change "express" to "pedestrian",

Apr 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM

You can walk there, whether you want to or not with bags is another story. I've walked it several times, but without bags.

It's about 1 km or a little more, I'd guess (around .5 to .75 miles).
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM

oh, sorry I saw you were asking about the TGV. Well, that's outside of town a couple miles, you couldn't walk from there. Not only the distance but it's in a major industrial area and there are several highways to cross.
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM

But there are regular buses from the town centre to the new TGV station a few miles outside of town so no taxi needed - but check to see if they run with trains this early.

Current info i have:

Buses run from the old Avignon Centre station (or very close to it) to the TGV station starting at 5:38am (Mon-Sat; daily in July and Aug)

journey time 13 mins.

operator: TCRA ph 04.32.74.18.32 (don't dial first 0 from outside France i believe) Rail tickets not valid. next bus is 6:12am daily - too late.
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Jeffrey, just so you can visualize this, your hotel is about one kilometre north of the Avignon Centre train station. As Christina points out, it's a bit of a long haul to wheel luggage, although at 5:50 or so in the morning, you won't be bumping into other pedestrians.

The navette that PalenQ refers to leaves from a lot across the street from the Avignon Centre train station, so if you decide to do that, you'd still have to drag your luggage about one kilometre. Last time I took the navette it was around a Euro per person.

I'd say the only way to avoid dragging your luggage is to take two taxis. (Your hotel staff could find out if the taxi company has a van big enough for all of you and your luggage.) The taxi fare to Avignon Centre train station would be a couple of Euros. Last time I took a taxi between the Avignon TGV and the Place de l'Horloge it was something in the order of €12, and that was three years ago.

Anselm
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm....looks like the way to go would be a taxi (or two) directly to the TGV station. The price of six prems from Avignon TGV to Roissy is about thirty euro less than that of Avignon Centre to the same point. That will cover most of the taxi fare, and the trip will be less stressful for everyone, I suspect.
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM

If I understand your first post, you'd also get to sleep in longer, so that's a bonus.

Have a great trip.

Anselm
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM

You can also divest yourself of some of your luggage and have it delivered to CDG ahead of you. The SNCF charges 25€ for the first suitcase and 11€ per set of 2 suitcases extra.
Apr 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM

It is an easy walk from the Palais to Avignon Central if you can walk at all. It is all gently downhill on a pedestrian street early in the morning. It is a 'block' street rather than rounded cobblestones, so it was easy even with my two rolling suitcases. You can pick up the navette to the TGV station at Avignon Central.