Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Disposable razors - are they allowed in carry-on bags?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 03:57 PM
rob

I tried a search for this but could not come up with any firm info. Are they allowing razors blades (the disposable kind, like Track 2 or Mach 3) in carry on bags? I can't image what kind of damage you could do with one (other than a really nasty nick), but I just wanted to be sure. I checked the AA website, but it wasn't very specific. Thanks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:00 PM
xxx

Inside checked bags only. If you have no checked bags then buy them at your destination.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:04 PM
rob

XXX <BR> <BR>Is this first hand experience from which you speak? I am getting a lot of conflicting inforation.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:32 PM
Dave

My wife just carried a disposable razor to Munich and Back. No problem at all. I left my Mach 3 at home, along with the shaving cream. Bought a can of shaving cream in Munich, used her crappy pink razor, and swore I'd never do THAT again. ;-)

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:17 PM
Becky

Dave- don't mean to pry, but your phrase "crappy pink razor" sound just like someting I heard someone say the other day. Do you by chance live in FL?

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
Dave

Nope... live in california. I hate plastic razors... ;-)

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Shannan

Rob, <BR> <BR>Personal experience: You cannot carry a razor (any) in your carry-on luggage. You may carry it in your checked luggage. Also, if you are traveling via a small commuter plane (the ones without a secure door to the cockpit) expect any sharp object such as tweezers) to be confiscated from carry-on luggage. Airport personnel are getting more and more persnickity about what they will allow. (today versus even 3 weeks ago). It is a wonderful thing.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:16 PM
janis

Dave - maybe your wife's crappy pink razor wasn't confiscated - but it should have been per the new standards. <BR> <BR>From personal experience (round trips to London/Paris, San Diego and LAX since Sept 20) most security personnel are removing all razors, blades, nail files, scissors, nail clippers, nail polish, aerosol cans and knitting/darning/tapestry needles.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:07 PM
mj

Rob, <BR>From BTDT (Sept 14th) on non-domestic flight - they're not allowed in carry ons but can be in checked bags. <BR>-- <BR>mj <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:13 PM
Joanne

Individual airports and airlines can of course institutte their own requirements, but the FAA apparently permits disposable razors; here's what their web site says: <BR> <BR>Items prohibited from aircraft cabins: <BR>The following items must be placed in, or transported as, checked <BR>baggage or risk confiscation. <BR>·Knives of any length, composition or description <BR>·Cutting instruments of any kind and composition, including carpet <BR>knives and box cutters (and spare blades), any device with a <BR>folding or retractable blade, ice picks, straight razors, metal <BR>scissors and metal nail files <BR>·Corkscrews <BR>·Baseball/softball bats <BR>·Golf clubs <BR>·Pool cues <BR>·Ski poles <BR>·Hockey sticks <BR>·When in doubt, transport item in checked baggage <BR> <BR>Permitted items: <BR>·Pets (check with airline for procedures) <BR>·Walking canes and umbrellas (once inspected to ensure prohibited <BR>items are not concealed) <BR>·Nail clippers <BR>·Safety razors (including disposable razors) <BR>·Syringes (with medication and professionally printed label <BR>identifying medication or manufacturer's name) <BR>·Tweezers <BR>·Eye lash curlers <BR> <BR>http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1435

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:16 PM
Joanne

I just realized that I neglected to mention that the above big quote from the FAA was part of a news release, and therefore designed to be disseminated, rather than protected by copyright laws that Fodors is so concerned about. So here's the link to the FAA in case the previous post gets deleted: <BR> <BR>http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1435 <BR> <BR>At this site, the FAA lists forbidden items, such as straight razors, and permitted items, where they speficially mention disposable razors. So they're OK with the FAA, though spefic airlines and airports might choose to forbid them.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:20 PM
ger

Returned from Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago on Air Canada and was asked to remove all items Janis has listed from my carry-on luggage (also tweezers and all electrical devices such as hair dryers!?). My hand baggage was not searched but some passenger's were. <BR> <BR>It is very confusing as each airline and airport have chosen to apply the "rules/guidelines" differently. For example, some UK airlines were only allowing a purse as carry-on and a notebook but minus the bag. So, if making a connecting flight in Europe, either check with the airline directly or be as conservative as possible. <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:53 AM
katja

I just flew recently (Oct 5th) from Miami to London and my PLASTIC nailfile was confiscated. I guess it had kind of a sharp edge on it.. I friend had a milk shake taken from him on the same airport because they could not see through the polystyrene cup... <BR>Conclusion: do not take anything at all with you that you have doubts on