Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Disneyland Paris & Smoking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/disneyland-paris-and-smoking-940601/)

xyz123 Jun 26th, 2012 06:30 PM

Disneyland Paris & Smoking

Spent a day at Disneyland Paris and although in theory they have the same rules regarding smoking as they do at their American parks (i.e. smoking is only permitted in smoking designated areas), noted that so many people walked around with their cancer sticks sending the obnoxeous fumes into my lungs. But the sad part is not one cast member made any effort to enforce the rules.

What a disaster to enjoying a day at the park.

Jay_G Jun 27th, 2012 01:08 AM

Having been to Disneyland Paris a few times (thankfully never having paid for it myself due to a combination of overseeing school trips and work functions) a full pack of cigarettes is my absolute minimum requirement to help me get through a day there.

If the 'cast members' allowed me to, I'd walk around with a morphine drip, smoking a crack pipe to help dull the pain of losing minutes of my life in one of the most soulless, joyless, temples to corporate power I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

Terminology such as 'cast members' is part of what makes Disneyland so annoying for me that it makes me want to rend my clothes and weep. The layout of the place, the overpriced everything, the glazed looks of cult members on the faces of employees and attendees alike, the 'Disney dollars', oh just all of it.

A horrible, horrible experience each and every time I've been.

I can assure you that if I ever have the misfortune to go back I'll attempt to smoke myself into an even earlier grave to make the horror of Disnelyand end sooner.

logos999 Jun 27th, 2012 01:17 AM

Children like it, so try to put on your happy face!
They hand out "free tickets", but only to enter. What a waste of time.

logos999 Jun 27th, 2012 01:18 AM

However, the stunt show is o.k.

kerouac Jun 27th, 2012 01:26 AM

More seriously, Americans should remember that the change in smoking habits and rules did not just happen overnight there, not to mention the fact that large parts of the U.S. are still a smoker's paradise. But even when there was a ban, it took quite some time for (almost) everybody to respect it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Anyway, a lot of places got a headstart, but strict smoking bans in France have only been in effect since 2007, so it will still take awhile for some of the more recalcitrant people to be removed from the scene by lung disease. The situation has improved hugely but still requires more time. The next visible improvement should take place in 2014 when the plan is to ban using the world as an ashtray. Just like in Singapore, all of the streetlight poles are supposed to be equipped with ashtrays.

Jay_G Jun 27th, 2012 01:43 AM

kerouac - definitely agree that the smoking situation has improved in France. Even though I'm a filthy, filthy smoker, there are some places where (I think) it just shouldn't be allowed.

I've noticed the difference in Lyon, where people no longer smoke on the platforms whilst waiting for the Metro. I recently saw someone light up, and then be harangued by an impeccably turned out little old lady until the offender stubbed it out. I practically fainted.

Ashtrays in the streetlamps sounds like a great idea. Now if they could just bring in flushing, canine toilets at the base of each of them, the streets of France would be safe to walk...

Dukey1 Jun 27th, 2012 03:21 AM

Personally, I suspect stepping in a pile of dog poop is a lot safer than being close to someone who smokes.

Jay_G Jun 27th, 2012 03:54 AM

Dukey - I suspect stepping in it probably is, but then again, which way is the wind blowing when you're 'close' to a smoker? If you're upwind, you've got nothing to worry about.

Using your logic; standing on a cigarette butt is safer than falling face-first into a dog egg.

I see the point you're trying to make, but you're making it badly.

justineparis Jun 27th, 2012 06:46 AM

Funny, I was in Disneyland there twice, once 4 years ago and once 6 years ago,, and did not notice anyone smoking outside designated areas. I think some people can smell smoke from 500yds away in a windstorm ,,where the wind is blowing away from them!