Distance from Airport to Downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the best way to get from AMS to downtown Amsterdam? Is there a subway, or bus or taxi the better way?

Also what's the distance from the airport to downtown Amsterdam?

Thank you in advance,

C
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Train is fastest - 20 mins to Amsterdam Centraal Station - airport buses also run to some hotels and may be more convenient for those with luggage. Trains run about every 20 mins from just outside Customs exit. Buses depart from the front of the train station area. Downtown is about 8 miles from Schiphol Airport.
Tot Ziens!
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I've always taken a train to Centraal Station (very quick and frequent from the airport) and then picked up a tram to wherever my hotel is.

This for me is the best way but if your hotel is some way from Centraal Station, you have a lot of luggage and aren't keen on public transport then you may be more comfortable in a taxi.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1- Train
2- Connexxion hotel shuttle bus service
3- Taxi

~20 to 30 mins.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

we will have backpacks....thanks everyone!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Beware that about half the trains from the airport do NOT go to Centraal Station, in the heart of town - about have go to the WTC-Zuid and RAI stations on the southern edge of town. So look at the overhead sign to see where your train is going before boarding. Some hotels, such as those in southern Amsterdam such as around Vondel Park are easier to reach perhaps via the WTC-Zuid train station as trams go from there downtown, passing many hotels en route and this station is far more manageable than hectic Centraal Station and the trams are right out front. Indeed i usually walk the about one mile to a hotel i've used on the edge of Vondel Park from the WTC-Zuid station. Train fare is also about a euro cheaper than to Centraal Station.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Why can't people just look at the airport website?

http://www.schiphol.nl/
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Do not, under ANY circumstances, leave any luggage unattended near the doors of the train from the airport.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Intrepid1's advice about bags near doors should be heeded - last year just before i went to Schiphol i read his post about there being a problem at the Amsterdam-Sloterdijk station that most airport trains stop at before hitting Centraal Station - a problem with bag thefts. I actually got off the train at Sloterdijk because i was going to Haarlem (you change here for that and points north) and there was a large police presence all over the station, including on the platforms where the train stopped, telling me that there was some kind of security problem with this station. So heed the tip as thieves target tourists coming from the airport apparently.