Reload this Page >

Discouraged about price of recommended hotels in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 03:42 PM
sandi

I have printed off and researched just about every wonderful hotelin venice that you all have recommended, and they are truly beautiful. The problem is, since we only have 2 nights in Venice, we wanted a canal view, doesn't have to be the Grand Canal and it has to be a room for 3 people (a couple and a 12 yr old)...all that equates to 250.-400. a night. I think we might have to scale down a bit to maybe a 2-3 star? I love the San Marco area. We looked at Hotel Giorgione, Leon Bianco, Hotel S. Moise, marconi etc.. any suggestions on a less expensive but charming Venetian hotel with some sort of water view? Again, you all have been so helpful...

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Lesli

Sandi - <BR> <BR>I have not personally stayed there, but the Locanda al Leon has been recommended to me and is on my short list of hotels for my next trip to Venice. It is located just behind the Danieli, very close to San Marco, but not directly on the canal. The decor is charming, and it is in your price range. Website: http://www.hotelalleon.com/ If you decide to stay there, please let us know what you think!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:27 PM
mary Ann

This is not a 3* but it was very quaint right on the grand canal. Hotel Galleria email is [email protected]. They have only about 10 rooms. It is in view of the Accademia bridge with a small pizzaria out front. it is easy walking distance to San marco. We had rooms that were very narrow, but they did have at least one larger room that could accomodate I think up to 4 people and it too had a view of the canal. I think the larger room was 200,000 Lire last September so I am not sure what it would be now or what the exchange rate is. Breakfast was served in the room, which was enjoyable to watch the barges and buses go by. Also, there was a beautiful view of the sun rise over the canal by San Marco from the rooms. <BR>This may be less than you are looking for but the staff was very friendly as well. Good Luck.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:00 PM
Anna

I'll second Mary Ann's recommendation to check out the Hotel Galleria. My sister is staying there next month with her husband and their 9 year old daughter. I believe their rate is less than 300,000L with a canal view. <BR>http://www.hotelgalleria.it/indexbri.htm

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Holly

Sandi - There's nothing wrong with a 2-3 star hotel in Venice. With probably very few exceptions, they're perfectly fine and there are plenty of 'em out there. Believe me, once you're in Venice, you will NOT be spending time in your room looking out the window. I'd suggest you pick a few in your price range from the numerous sites that list the hotels, and then post the names here and ask for personal experiences in those particular ones.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 09:04 PM
Diane

You could try the Pensione Accademia. We had room 29. I had a small foyer, with a single bed in an alcove, a beautiful, modern bathroom, and a separate bedroom that had a window overlooking a canal. They had a great breakfast too. We paid 260,000 lire in September 1997. Great location -- away from the crowds, but close enough to walk to everything.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 04:24 AM
elaine

From Gourmet magazine July 2000: <BR>New hotel, Locanda San Barnaba. 16th century palazzo, 13 "airy" rooms with air conditioning and tiled bathrooms. Some rooms look into a garden courtyard where breakfast is served. Very nearby vaporetto stop and a 5-minute walk to Academia museum. Doubles from $115. Calle del Traghetto 2486-2487, Sestiere de Dorsoduro, tel/fax 39 041 241 1233, www.locanda-sanbarnaba.com <BR>I believe it faces the Grand Canal.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Cam

Hi, Sandi. My husband and I liked the San Cassiano Ca' Favretto. It is located on the Grand Canal almost across from the Ca D'Oro and is within your price range. We had a "junior suite" on the top floor that would be appropriate for your family. We had wonderful views from two huge windows and the hotel is within walking distance of everything. A vaporetto stop is nearby. For more information, see <BR> http://www.venere.it/venezia/sancassiano/

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:49 PM
marty

Sandi: We were at the Locanda Leon Bianco in June and our friends and their 18 year old daughter had a room looking out on a canal (not the Grand Canal)with breakfast served in the room for $180 per night. Our double room on the Grand Canal was $125. It is a 3 star. Have their prices changed? They do not have air conditioning, but that may not matter for when you are going. It was not a problem in early June.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Sandi

Thanks everyone for your input. I did reserve a roomat Leon Bianco for 3 people w/ a Grand Canal view for about $160.00 a night..not too bad. Now, on to my Florence reservations!

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Topper

To the top for non-searchers....

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Rich

You might want to consider the Star Hotel Splendid Suisse in Venice. We just stayed there as part of a tour and the rooms were very nice and the location is the BEST!---midway between the Rialto Bridge and San marco. I don't know what the rates are, but it is on one of the smaller canals. Good luck.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:40 PM
Topper

To the top for Kristin. Venice hotels.