Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Discounted opera tickets in Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/discounted-opera-tickets-in-barcelona-739466/)

Iregeo Sep 27th, 2007 10:12 PM

Discounted opera tickets in Barcelona?

Other than purchasing tickets for a performance by a "second string" cast, is there any way to obtain discounted opera tickets for regular evening performances? Thanks.

Dukey Sep 28th, 2007 12:12 AM

The only tickets we have ever purchased for a Liceu performance we obtained through the opera house's website. It was for a (summer) performance of "Turandot" and we thought the prices were very reasonable so cannot help with the "discount" part but topping in case someone else knows.

kenderina Sep 28th, 2007 09:29 AM

Discounted ? I don't think so...you can buy cheap seats..I mean, with limited visibility or no visibility at all (just for hearing). But the only discounts I know are for students and seniors. But you have to buy the tickets for the day performance if there are any left at the box office.

Iregeo Sep 28th, 2007 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

I'm frustrated now! Was on line trying to purchase tickets, didn't move fast enough, and now they're gone. They were at 85% and 75% visibility. Only seats left on our available 3 days are either poor to no visibility (60% or less), or excellent (100%) and VERY expensive.

Is there a ticket broker you suggest that I can purchase seats from?

Thanks

kenderina Sep 28th, 2007 03:28 PM

No, there are only two places where you can buy tickets for the Liceu..their own website and the other link which is also in the website from
www.servicaixa.com

Iregeo Sep 28th, 2007 03:38 PM

Thanks again for the information. Kicking myself...hard!

Iregeo Sep 28th, 2007 05:00 PM

Well, I ended up purchasing 2 excellent seats (90 and 99% visibility), for the "B" cast, but the seats are not together! Oh well...maybe DH and I will be fighting that night!

Thanks again for the help.

Dukey Sep 28th, 2007 05:09 PM

Trust me, you will not ever REGRET getting those seats in THAT opera house.

Iregeo Sep 28th, 2007 05:34 PM

Thanks, Dukey! I'm SO excited!

cova Sep 29th, 2007 12:42 AM

Iregeo, which opera are you going to?
Sometimes the second cast is much more interesting than the main one.

I always have a good look at the second cast here in Madrid, and I have been lucky enough to listen to wonderful singers.

Cova

Iregeo Sep 29th, 2007 03:28 AM

cova, we will be seeing La Cenerentola. We are not opera officionados, my husband even less so than I, but I do love attending the opera and opera houses in different cities/countries when I travel. I am really looking forward to it!

Dukey Sep 29th, 2007 03:59 AM

One feature I think you will appreciate is/are the "sur" titles in this particular space: they are displayed on the seatback in front of you and in three languages: English, Spanish, and Catalan.