Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Discounted City Public Transport for Children and Oldsters in Netherlands
Notices

Discounted City Public Transport for Children and Oldsters in Netherlands

Oct 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Discounted City Public Transport for Children and Oldsters in Netherlands

I'm trying to figure out the city public transport pricing (not the trains) in the Netherlands. I am cross-eyed from reading all the various websites.

From what I can tell, if I want discounted travel for my 9-year-old-daughter and 80-year-old parents-in-law, I have to buy hourly tickets. The OV chipcards do not offer discounts unless you buy the personal ones - which don't work for tourists.

Can we buy discounted hourly tickets from the tram driver? Are the 1-day tickets also discounted? The GVB website says there is a discount, but doesn't say how much. Can we pay with a non-chipped credit card on the tram? Do we have to have exact change if not? Can we buy several hourly tickets at one time to use throughout the week?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Oct 25th, 2011, 03:48 AM

The discount, 34%, is only available on personal OV chipcards, and not on any of the paper cards or anonymous cards - this is because they can be used by anyone, so the discount could be abused.

They do not accept credit cards at all, chipped or otherwise. The best thing to do is to go to the GVB office opposite Centraal Station and talk to them about what cards are best for you, and buy your cards there.
Oct 25th, 2011, 03:50 AM

I suppose when you say city public transport you really mean Amsterdam?
Maybe the following links will be of help

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...m/331004175001
http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...m/598007375001
You can purchase 24 hour ( or longer) passes.

Search this Thread